Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cool Old Lineman

Featured Sponsor

I worked until I was almost 65 Years old and still climbed ,didn't expect anyone to carry me.When I started in line work(1965) we climbed everyday and used Hotsticks. I worked the Trouble truck my last 4 years and if it was my trouble call on a backlot I climbed the pole,always called for another Troubleman to grunt for me because I felt it was unsafe to Climb alone especially at night. Some of the younger Linemen would offer to climb for me,but I said no thanks. I told them it was my call and when I can't do the work I am outa here,didn't expect anyone to carry me. Also I agree a 32oz. Ball peen hammer is the best for line work,only type I ever used. Just want to say that I was Blessed to have good health and took pride in being a Journeyman Lineman. Be Safe!
    Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    I worked until I was almost 65 Years old and still climbed ,didn't expect anyone to carry me.When I started in line work(1965) we climbed everyday and used Hotsticks. I worked the Trouble truck my last 4 years and if it was my trouble call on a backlot I climbed the pole,always called for another Troubleman to grunt for me because I felt it was unsafe to Climb alone especially at night. Some of the younger Linemen would offer to climb for me,but I said no thanks. I told them it was my call and when I can't do the work I am outa here,didn't expect anyone to carry me. Also I agree a 32oz. Ball peen hammer is the best for line work,only type I ever used. Just want to say that I was Blessed to have good health and took pride in being a Journeyman Lineman. Be Safe!
    I was trained by a few men who had that same work ethic as you, I used to have to either hide their hooks or tape them together with a roll of black tape so I could get my tools and make it to the pole before them. I tip my hat to you Jerry, that work ethic is rarely found anymore. Charlie.

Ive ran into many ,older and younger ,that dreaded climbing.....I still think....yea,its only a few clamps to be replaced or tightened....you are a lineman aint you?.....It wont take too long....ohh forget it.....Ill get the pole!

Times have changed but lottsa young guys will sit on their dead behinds n watch a older lineman climb poles all day

Its one thing if a guy has a serious or minor situation,a back problem,knees,foot/ect.....but a younger guy that just doesnt want to climb for the sake of not climbing....and (letting) an older guy catch it......is another thing....there was one period where I was sick,off for two months....didnt know if Id ever climb again....well I did....and when I returned every pole was mine,even though my headlineman offered to climb many of times....those babies were mine....what Im saying is that when your away from it for awhile and still healthy....its a privilege to climb,your whole outlook changes....thats the way it was for me anyway.

Default Get a california vaughn framer. The longest handle 32 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Hammers..............what if he has a pink handled hammer ....bobbo?
    Ball peen is good if your getting dents out of your Dodge Dart. I have had every hammer, even the three pound maul. I havent put in a lag in a long time. All our braces require bolts. The last time I drove a lag was in worst energy property. Ten foot arms dont have lags. Fiberglass dont have lags. In my bucket have a klein double dinger. But in my belt is the california claw, 2 ft long and 32 ounces. On 2400 or 4800 csps it also works as a finger stick. Also if I dont feel like reaching knocks off my grip or slides it out. If you put on nipple covers on bolts it rips those out. If you bolts too short by one thread, a couple whacks with the claw, it fits. Old wood molding, gone. And if you have to pull old arm with a bent bolt, gone. Also great for gaining. Also slam it in the pole, it holds your belt while you are putting on your hooks. If you are in the bucket and the only place you can go is above the circuit, I can hook a phase and raise it without lowering the bucket. Great for sliding and bringing grapevines.when you land your can before coming off, put the claw behind the washer and bring your bolt all the way in. I have have every hammer. If you drag a three or four pound maul in your belt, you better get a gut strap, because your belt is going to be at your ankles if you dont have an ass.

Default By the way my pole partner is 64.

He smokes. Gets crazy. But we climb alot together. We work lot of stuff out that many cant. Its not age. Its attitude. He will be almost 50 years in the trade. And he doesnt want to retire. He loves it. He can climb better than 99% of the journeyman in my lifetime. Very smooth. He does the bottom arms, because we use the handline,to move phases . I take the top arms, because I am tall and its easier for me to layout and move phases. He is the sharpest tack I have seen in this trade. I am not going to leave him anytime soon.

If he is still climbing at 64...that is great....meanwhile Im trying to figure out your logo.....california claw and all....finger- stick...ect.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    Ball peen is good if your getting dents out of your Dodge Dart. I have had every hammer, even the three pound maul. I havent put in a lag in a long time. All our braces require bolts. The last time I drove a lag was in worst energy property. Ten foot arms dont have lags. Fiberglass dont have lags. In my bucket have a klein double dinger. But in my belt is the california claw, 2 ft long and 32 ounces. On 2400 or 4800 csps it also works as a finger stick. Also if I dont feel like reaching knocks off my grip or slides it out. If you put on nipple covers on bolts it rips those out. If you bolts too short by one thread, a couple whacks with the claw, it fits. Old wood molding, gone. And if you have to pull old arm with a bent bolt, gone. Also great for gaining. Also slam it in the pole, it holds your belt while you are putting on your hooks. If you are in the bucket and the only place you can go is above the circuit, I can hook a phase and raise it without lowering the bucket. Great for sliding and bringing grapevines.when you land your can before coming off, put the claw behind the washer and bring your bolt all the way in. I have have every hammer. If you drag a three or four pound maul in your belt, you better get a gut strap, because your belt is going to be at your ankles if you dont have an ass.
    This is the hammer I use.
    http://www.amazon.com/Klein-832-32-L.../dp/B0002RI8XC
    As far as having to grab a phase below the bucket I just rotate the jib down and grab the phase, no need to lower the bucket or reach down and grab it.
    I think it's great that guys at that age still want to contribute. They have so much to teach the young guys. I just tell the young guys that if you see an older guy working you better be doing something.

Default California clawhammer built by vaughn

Featured Sponsorr

I destroyed three hammers in 6 mos. Every pole we replaced the wood molding. Fifty years ago whoever pounded the staples in buried them. And a maul is no good for that. I pry a good bit. When we didnt have the internet, I bought the biggest heaviest replacement I could find, the Vaughn California Claw. Milled front, long handle, I havent destroyed it yet. Real heavy and balanced. Great hammer. I had a foreman that loved the wedge grip. And thats all he had. He was brought up sticking. I was brought up with those slide grips. Sometimes thaose wedge grips are like beating off an ampact. Whatever works for you and what situation your in. But I thrive in the backlot or ight of ways where you cant get vehicles. But my tools work for me. So far in the last five I have pole topped rescued a lot of guys who wear all their bucket gear, weighing their belts til they fall to their ankles. I just take my pouch , hammer and an alligator. It works for me.