Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Now its an alligator??????I hate to ask what that is.....sounds like you guys strip lots of poles there.....you ever have time to build new lines?.....one company I worked for never stripped the poles out.....that was usually a helpers job with the utility.

Back to the older lineman.....through-out the years Ive seen younger lineman try pushing the older more experienced lineman out the door....some of the younger ones had a certain hatered towards a guy that wouldnt retire...Ive always thought it wasnt none of their business when they would retire...why would it be? But Ive seen it,and Im sure others have seen it too.

Oldest guy I ever worked around was 63. He was productive until the day he walked out the door. Tough old bird. And really 63 isn't that old, except in line work. Lots of wisdom there, but the faculties are starting to fail. Some are very forgetful, have the shakes, can't or won't climb. Our work force is aging, we were at 51 for an average age a few years back. It is a shame we can't retire at 60.

Lets just say that I ran into alot of money Swamp....or it ran into me

Default Alligator, slotted wrench

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Now its an alligator??????I hate to ask what that is.....sounds like you guys strip lots of poles there.....you ever have time to build new lines?.....one company I worked for never stripped the poles out.....that was usually a helpers job with the utility.
    Slotted wrench where you dont have to adjust. I found it at a flea market 15 years ago. What I like about it is its old, ugly and no one wants to grab it. When I had crescents, my tools were always the closest, somebody would grab it all the time and it would never find its way back in my belt. That old alligator they just look at it. What os that? I am not touching that. So I always have it.

Default They will have to answer for it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Back to the older lineman.....through-out the years Ive seen younger lineman try pushing the older more experienced lineman out the door....some of the younger ones had a certain hatered towards a guy that wouldnt retire...Ive always thought it wasnt none of their business when they would retire...why would it be? But Ive seen it,and Im sure others have seen it too.
    I believe that someday you will answer for all bad deeds. In this trade karma is a *****. Seen it. Some higher power has a checklist, like Santa. Every egotistical a_hole that has treated men badly over the years has had a bad accident, gone to prison, drug addicted or alchoholic, get some crazy cancer where their balls get removed or some kid of intestine-ectomy, divorced and working for their ex wives and kids. And if they are married, these depraved souls will marry some hot stripper then that hot stripper turns into a miserable toothless fat hag. And their misery gets worse and worse. Karma baby!

Default Jibs are new.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    This is the hammer I use.
    http://www.amazon.com/Klein-832-32-L.../dp/B0002RI8XC
    As far as having to grab a phase below the bucket I just rotate the jib down and grab the phase, no need to lower the bucket or reach down and grab it.
    I think it's great that guys at that age still want to contribute. They have so much to teach the young guys. I just tell the young guys that if you see an older guy working you better be doing something.
    All we have now our straights. Too many distribution hands used to pulling no.6 copper and number 2 aluminum. The rules change when the heavier the wire. Too many guys are rigging with it and their jibs explode or their buckets turnover. Young guy with a jib and jib line is dangerous!. Be careful most are rated at the most 1500 all the way in, up and down tension.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    All we have now our straights. Too many distribution hands used to pulling no.6 copper and number 2 aluminum. The rules change when the heavier the wire. Too many guys are rigging with it and their jibs explode or their buckets turnover. Young guy with a jib and jib line is dangerous!. Be careful most are rated at the most 1500 all the way in, up and down tension.
    If you can lift it the jib can lift it. Our jibs are good for 2000 lbs in the best configuration and 240 lbs in the worst configuration, more than most people can lift off the pole.

I have to agree with ya Bobbo. There are quite a few guys out there that don't understand what a jib can and cannot do. I have watched guys try to winch phases back onto a dead end pole from the ground , with complete sidepull on their boom. They just laughed at me when I tried to stop them. I even suggested to take the winch line around the pole! Fully hydraulic jibs are a great tool , you just really have to understand what they can do.

Featured Sponsorr

I like jibs and winches and appreciate how much easier that they can make our work, but a lineman would be better off to be brung up working out of a personel carrier bucket with no jib and no winch so he can learn how to do everything with nothing, once he gets to that point and he gets a bucket with a winch and jib it's all gravy.