Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default If you have 7 johnny balls on one down guy?

Featured Sponsor

I pass along a highway a 3 phase dead end with 7 johnny balls. I had to get off the exit to find this thing. The first johnny ball is one of those served ones then the next two our clamped with 7/16, then its the rest our an assortment of colors and guy sizes. You know when you have been in this trade way too long when that bugs the crep out of me. How you drive and see that and not do anything about it. I wonder if this power company cuts in johnny balls like they get a childhood thrill of hanging christmas ornaments. You know whoever is responsible for that system drives by and doesnt care. And everyones excuse is storm repair. I can accept having two as storm as storm or trouble repair but 7! You see all the areas with big population growth have really great looking systems like TX,Nevada, AZ, VA, FL and GA but the older areas are hanging on by a thread. The power companies who have huge construction budgets draw the people or the people draw the huge construction budgets? Anybody know that answer? I have grown up and I travelled all my life to boom places to work. And as a kid from an industrial town I rarely saw a pole set or bucket truck. And you go into these good looking systems their crews are busy and they build extra strong. Steel, concrete and laminates for dead ends and fiberglass hughes arms all around. Then you go to an older area with wood pin arms 2400 system, class 3s and 4s with dead ends or equipment. And your wondering if anyone cares. Do they let their systems go to pot for a reason or wait for a good storm so the federal government can pay for it all.
    Last edited by bobbo; 04-06-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Ummmmm there are plenty of places in Texas with crap like that

When I was in NJ I saw span guys wrapped on one side of a Johnny ball and 4 kv primary on the other side, thought maybe it was a fluke but I got to looking around and they were everywhere like that, along with hot hoists left holding things in the air, some of them had been there so long the strap was almost deteriorated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    When I was in NJ I saw span guys wrapped on one side of a Johnny ball and 4 kv primary on the other side, thought maybe it was a fluke but I got to looking around and they were everywhere like that, along with hot hoists left holding things in the air, some of them had been there so long the strap was almost deteriorated.
    They call it a Philadelphia dead end. One of the dumbest things I've seen in this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAMPLINEMAN View Post
    They call it a Philadelphia dead end. One of the dumbest things I've seen in this trade.
    10-4 looked like a death trap to me, thanks' for telling me what they call it, you learn something new every day.

That's like the 3 phase deadend pole I saw. It had 6 or 7 deadend glass or bells on it. Rather than splice out the primary they just added extra glass! It's only 4160 and looks dumb!
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

And then there's National Grid that puts fiberglass strain rods on span guys and then adds a bonding jumper across it. They call it "feeder hardening", I call it "Stupidity".
    Living my life and loving it!!!

Ummmmm yeah that dont make a lotta cents.

Quote Originally Posted by tramp67 View Post
    And then there's National Grid that puts fiberglass strain rods on span guys and then adds a bonding jumper across it. They call it "feeder hardening", I call it "Stupidity".
    I agree stupid, that's the same utility that makes them wear gloves and sleeves when in the air working on grounded conductors.

Featured Sponsorr

Name:  2012-11-04_10-55-31_385.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  96.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Seriously....Seen a lot of siht, rottin gut left on lines, but never seen no Hoists left on line THAT long! Friggin CRAZY!
    All right Swamp here it is, I thought I had a picture of one of them.