Thread: Any tips guys?

1. Default Any tips guys?

Featured Sponsor

I'm currently working for a flagging contractor and I want to start a career as a lineman I currently have a cdl permit and I'm just having no lucky getting on. The closest ibew is 2.5 hours away it wouldn't bother me to travel for work. So if you guys have any tips just let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesshaffer3 View Post
    I'm currently working for a flagging contractor and I want to start a career as a lineman I currently have a cdl permit and I'm just having no lucky getting on. The closest ibew is 2.5 hours away it wouldn't bother me to travel for work. So if you guys have any tips just let me know
    Get on the phone and talk to the people at the hall,get info.........if you have to call again in a week or so do that..........let them know that your really interested........if your in that area go by there and meet the people there....they might like you.Sometimes just being likeable helps out a great deal.........ask Swamp

A CDL is a start. There are a lot of people in the pool of those that want to be Linemen. so your going to need to make yourself wanted by whatever utility/contractor that is looking to hire. Do you have any training or work background as a line mechanic? If not then I would suggest you get into a technical college that offers classes in Electrical Distribution, you could try working for a contractor, or you might even get into a Utility in some other field and when they look to hire line folks sometimes they hire from within and you could be taken in the occupation that way.

Now if your afraid of heights, or not in top physical shape it wont take long for the trainers watching you, to give you the "death speech". . .the one where they talk about what electricity can do to you if you screw up, and the long hours thru the night you need to work many times thru lightning, rain and wind, maybe some low temps and snow/ice. they talk about the stress this occupation puts on your family who worry about you and miss you at their events at school. They'll have you take a few steps up a pole for a little more altitude and if your heart isn't in it. . . . .. . you'll opt out.

It's not an entry level job.

good luck
    T

4. Default

Thanks for the input guys the contractors in my area just had hired 5 groundman before I talked to the general foreman so it will prolly be a while. I'd say ill take your advise and go to the union hall in a few months gotta focus on getting that license.

If you have drive thats a good start....personally I dont know any young guys that want to work outside in this so called heat.....they would rather work inside getting paid 8 dollars an hour....no kind of drive there .

6. Default

Ah I've worked inside its worse than being outside but yea I'm young when I get my license I won't be able to drive outa state till I'm 21 and I won't be 20 till the end of this year. By the way the heat isn't that bad it's the cold that will get you seems like its colder in the winter if its not snowing.

My take... I'd get out of flagging and into something where you can learn things that will help in the line trade, or any trade for that matter. Something like an equipment operator or in construction - pretty much anything "industrial". Being mechanically inclined will be a strong attribute while trying to get hired. I don't want to insult you but flagging doesn't really offer any transferable skills to line work.

You're young and have lots of time to work towards your goal but obviously you want it sooner than later! I started in the trade a year and a half ago and just started my apprenticeship last month, a week before turning 35. Good luck to you.

8. Default

Be hard to get a job as an equipment operator all the ones around here are laid off thanks to the war on coal I look for a better job everyday. I can say flagging has let me learn some of the tools groundsman use how to make up cut outs and stuff like that foremans typically keep us around if we're not needed if we will help the crews.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesshaffer3 View Post
    I can say flagging has let me learn some of the tools groundsman use how to make up cut outs and stuff like that foremans typically keep us around if we're not needed if we will help the crews.
    Fair enough. Around here, flaggers are all separate contractors and are never required or asked to participate in anything that the line crew (or paving/excavating/or whatever crew) that hired them is doing.

Getting an opportunity to learn basic aspects of the trade while you aren't actually flagging certainly isn't going to hurt.