Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
    The sky genie did come with a plastic cover for the leading edge of the rope that went over the edge of the bucket, My problem is that because of OSHA regs about conductive materials in the operators position that the point of attachment for the safety and the descent device are typically down low on the bucket there is a certain amount of free fall before you have tension on the descent device. Time was you were tied into the boom usually by a boom strap that your safety was clipped to which allowed you to take the slack out before you put your weight on the device and start your descent
    Could you keep a ratcheting boom strap with the descent device and only attach it to the boom if you needed to get down? Of course, that would be one more step if you were in a hurry.

Mark

Question Question for Old Lineman

You talked about the features that you thought a self-rescue device should have. Do you have a recommendation for such a device. We have a lineman/bucket truck that works by himself repairing pole mounted lights (either streetlight or individual yard light). He does not work above the neutral by himself.
    He also sets meters and does locates for the rest of his day.

3. Default Addressing a couple of questions re: 'self rescue' from buckets

Splinter.
    You state that linemen can't manufacture accessories for your descent device.
    You shouldn't have to. If the supplier had done what they were supposed to there would have been a protective shield over the rope when you got it.
    Rubber garden hose is the best because it has good adhesion properties, is non conductive and slides nicely to where you need it and away for rope inspection.

Bluestreak,
    For the life of me I cannot see why Sky Genie would use plastic. Sure it will protect the rope from abrasion but it has limited or no adhesion properties. That's not a problem when used in industry but you application is unique.
    Normally the shield is to protect the rope as it passes over a brick wall or metal cladding over a commercial building wall.
    You never are going to be confronted with that situation so it is mismatched to your needs.
    Oh, they will say it's transparent so you can see the rope underneath. What a crock!
    Simply slide it along the rope and check it first hand.

Thrasher,
    As for what I recommend it's better that we do that in private. PM me.

Thanks for all of your interest. Preventing injuries and saving lives is the only focus.
    The Old Lineman
    Last edited by old lineman; 07-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.

The device we have from Tech Safety Lines has a moveable sheath that you can slide where you need it. The descent is very controllable.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Not to confuse the issue I said plastic to describe the clear cover on the anchor end of the rope it's clear to allow visual inspection of the rope while giving abrasion resistance to the rope. And no way am I a proponent of sky genie that's all we've ever had to use. About 5 or 6 years ago tried to get the Co. to look at some new type of self rescue devices, they had some mountain climbers come in to come up with a procedure and equipment to get people off transmission towers and poles and they had stuff that could have been used for bucket rescue too but it would have cost a couple bucks so their still using 60 year old technology.

Default Old Lineman

I tried to PM you and evidently I have turned off PM option. Seeing as how I don't know how I turned it off I don't know how to turn it on. If you or someone else can walk me thru the process I would appreciate the help in turning it back on.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    I tried to PM you and evidently I have turned off PM option. Seeing as how I don't know how I turned it off I don't know how to turn it on. If you or someone else can walk me thru the process I would appreciate the help in turning it back on.

And you think I'm a computer wizard?
    That's a good one.
    I wish I could help, I know someone else will jump in.
    The Old Lineman

8. Default

Click on your name. "Thrasher".

Click on "Send new Private message".

Under "My Account" click on "General Settings".

Scroll down 3, and click on "Private messaging on".
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

9. Default

This is actually an interesting thread...to me.

"Back in the day"....I got stranded up in my bucket...for some unknown reason...I always had a handline, if it got THAT extreme. But honestly, mostly we always were workin with other trucks, and ya just basically sat there till another truck came and got your ass down.

In the "Later years", we always had Radios...and then cell phones. I really never understood all the "Extra" BS...if your boom got stuck up in the air. If it's "Stuck" up in the air....that's a GOOD thing! It locked out all the hydraulics and your ass didn't FALL!
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Featured Sponsorr

Here's what we are using, one for single bucket, one for a double bucket.Name:  PAR_TFP_052213 (2).jpg
Views: 651
Size:  18.5 KBName:  PAR_TFP_052213 .jpg
Views: 584
Size:  17.4 KB