Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Bucket Truck Self Rescue

Featured Sponsor

For those who work a bucket truck alone (as I do), what is the plan/procedure for getting down if the lift becomes inoperative? Self rescue rope system? Get on the radio or cell phone?

My bucket has emergency power that runs off the battery and I have a small rope system that I hope I never have to use. I just wondered what the company policies are?

As always, thanks and work safe.

Mark

Our company policy is to pray that someone sees you. I've only been stuck once and I had to have some random lady jump in the truck and start it for me. Pretty ridiculous since I work for a company that has a bigger safety manual than the IRS tax code. I forget my phone every now and then which leaves just praying that someone is in ear shot. I carry a rope, but I feel more comfortable waiting then trying to lower myself. There's no backup if the truck shuts off for us.

I've thought about this before. Maybe I will bring it up again, but I've been told to stop calling our safety department and embarrassing them.

At CL&P still using Sky-Genie been using it since the sixty's. About 5 years ago tried to have discussion on getting newer system but that would have taken some thought and a little money. best I could get them to do was a little retraining. A big problem nobody wants to admit is most all the harness's don't have a loop in the front at the chest position, in order to use the genie you have to put a couple of loops from around the waist level together and with the older larger linemen the center of balance is to low and you tend to get feet up head down if you don't pay attention. The biggest problem is that nobody ever checks the devices and after being in a canvas bag in the bucket all year and all weather the aluminum sleeve gets oxidized and the shackle get rusty, stopped some of that by vacuum sealing the whole kit then putting it into the bag.

Working in the air by yourself is just a bad idea. I sure hope you don't find yourself in the same situation as the poor man from Alabama.

Alone in a EWP! Never heard of it. All our's , nifty lifts, gmj, RG's have rescue boxes on the side, although in saying that some goon hurt themselves doing it in training using the controlled decent device and has now since been shelved so the young up and commers wouldn't probably know what's even in the boxes let alone how to get down safely.

Umm yrars ago I wuz werkin inna shabby ole bucket truck when the engine swallered its ass n so I hadda purdy long rope n tied a bolin inna bite passed a loop under both laigs n put the fall line under my belt n I let myself down with no prolems

We used Sky Genies for trouble alone also. Every year to qualify for pole top rescue we also did bucket rescue and a Sky Genie decent from 15-20 feet, for training purposes. When cell phones got more popular we just have the guy who's stuck call for assistance and another crew comes to get em down.

Blog Entries

We use a descent device on our trouble trucks, controlled descent device that I've only used in training. Works pretty well. Used to use the sky genie for years, glad that's gone......!!!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble1 View Post
    Our company policy is to pray that someone sees you. I've only been stuck once and I had to have some random lady jump in the truck and start it for me. Pretty ridiculous since I work for a company that has a bigger safety manual than the IRS tax code. I forget my phone every now and then which leaves just praying that someone is in ear shot. I carry a rope, but I feel more comfortable waiting then trying to lower myself. There's no backup if the truck shuts off for us.

I've thought about this before. Maybe I will bring it up again, but I've been told to stop calling our safety department and embarrassing them.
    I'll pass along a couple of comments for you to contemplate.

1. A few years ago I heard of a lineman being stranded aloft as you were and he flagged down a car that stopped.
    They started the truck and he came down to thank them and they beat the crap out of him put him back into the bucket head first and raised the boom.
    They shut the truck off and left.
    I can't recall if they left the keys in the truck or threw them away..
    I've been heavily involved with rescue for years and here's my thoughts.

2. We used to use the Miller Controlled Descent Device (it's not so controlled). Perhaps it was equal to anything available at the time but it isn't today.
    I say this because it doesn't positively lock and is prone to human error.
    I would never use anything that doesn't automatically 'lock off'.
    There are several brands but I use the Petzel ID20L which is always locked.
    Once attached to your anterior attachment point and a secure location on the boom you can exit the bucket without the possibility of a free fall. When ready to descend rotate the handle counterclock wise until the sweet spot is reached.
    The rope will start slipping throught the unit. The speed is controlled by your right hand on the rope.
    Pull too far and it locks, let got and it locks, repeat the process to the sweet spot and your on you way down .

Note: While training and practising always be attached to a redundant system.
    I've seen workers even forget to attach the system to themselves 2 minuites after we reviewed the steps to take.
    Novices are most likely to forget something. It's stressful for them.
    I say practice, practice, practice until they have it mastered, then retrain twice more annually.

3. If your company allows you to use the trucks alone then you should take the system aloft with you every time.
    If you have a co-worker then just take a throw line that is long enough to reach the ground from any position. Keep your descent device in a clearly labelled bin. Just when you need it you may have a guy working with you from another truck.
    Panic amnesia is a real thing.
    The Old Lineman

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
    Alone in a EWP! Never heard of it. All our's , nifty lifts, gmj, RG's have rescue boxes on the side, although in saying that some goon hurt themselves doing it in training using the controlled decent device and has now since been shelved so the young up and commers wouldn't probably know what's even in the boxes let alone how to get down safely.
    If we put our heads in the sand the situation will intensify. Bad, near sighted move in my opinion.
    The Old Lineman