Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fun this summer

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    UMmm didcha catch eny fried ones?
    Only in restraunts.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

2. Default

We went to the dry totugas national park where Fort Jefferson is located. Camped out for two nights three days. It was awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Im off

Heading for Silverstone for the moto gp .. Heading down fri morning camping the weekend got tickets for BECKETS stand for the race Sunday .. Back to Wales on Monday Weather forecast is good so I'm as excited as an epileptic weasel. . Pic of bike loaded up before I left Dublin on Sunday and the choice of the three suggested routes ( none of which I will be taking.. I've my own route keeping off the motorways " as that's boring on a bike ) It will take me longer but more interesting ..
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

4. Default

That is AWSOME Bren!! I envy ya man. In the states nowdays....I'd be terrified to make a run like that.

My wife and I did...back in the early 70's, take 2 weeks and Rode a 750 Honda, from Ft. Pierce Fla. to Las Vegas Nevada...by way of Omaha.

Down to Mexico, then back on I 10 to fla. Camped behind gas stations, with the owners permission, and on interstate "Rest Stops" in our Tent, all along the way. Stayed in 1 Hotel the whole tirp, when we crossed the Rockies....got trapped in a snow storm in Vale Colorado. Back then, that **** hotel cost us 2 weeks pay!

Have a safe Trip my man. Like I said, I envy ya. Ya brought back good memories!!
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Why I love touring

Here's why we tour on motorbikes " OLD LINE DOG"

Why I like biking.(sorry its so long to read but at least ya didn't have to type it)
    Little tale to demonstrate the joys of biking..

A few years ago my brother was living in Spain.. A little town called Estepona right at the southern most point of Spain... Right next to Gibraltar .. Where he worked.

So he was going away for a few weeks, leaving his apartment free.. Perfect , I would go down on the bike and stay there while he was away...
    I did my research . And the best way for me to go was Portsmouth to st Malo.on the ferry.. From st Malo it was 1600 miles to his place across France ,over the Pyrenees mountains.. Through Spain and the sierra Nevada mts .. Loveley route..
    I also did a bit of reading about customs etc of the French an Spanish .. One thing stood out . In France it warned .. DON'T TRESPASS IN A FRENCH FARMERS LAND OR HE HAS THE RIGHT TO SHOOT YOU.. as I was bringing my tent as back up ( I intended staying in little hotels etc)

So I arrived off the ferry in st Malo. As it took me quite a while to get to Portsmouth and the ferry crossing , I had decided to head for a place called Nantes which was the first major town on route.

It was a Sunday and a lovely sunny day also.. I only had half a tank of fuel when I got off the ferry.and there were no garages open as I headed for the motorway... After about 60 miles I saw a sign 100kms to services... I wouldn't make that.. So decided to come off at the next exit..by this time I was very low on fuel...I came of the motorway and the road went either left or right.. I went right.for no real reason..... I arrived at a French farm ....tentively.( not wanting to get shot ) I rode up his driveway.. The farmer came out and I " in my rubbish" French told him I had no fuel...
    He went and got a petrol can from the barn said something to his wife in French and pointed to the car... We headed down the road ( for over an hour ) to a small town ... The garage was closed..
    No problem...super mercado he said. We arrived at the supermarket ..the fuel pumps worked on a CARD. I had credit cards etc.. No good had to be the specific card issued by the supermarket .
    So we waited untill a woman came along to fill up.. She used her card to fill the can and I gave her cash..sorted.. Another hour back to the farm..petrol in bike...woman of the house comes out with a big tray of bread,cheeses,cake and coffee.... And the kids sat on the bike and had some photos taken... As I was leaving. I tried to give the farmer some money... But he said not to insult him and would not take a penny...
    At this stage it's getting late... Filled up again on route to Nantes ... Arrived at Nantes at about
    11.30 at night... Saw a police station so went in and asked for directions to a hotel... The police women told me to follow the signs to to hospital ( a big blue H ) and opposite the hospital was the holiday inn... Of I go again diving in the dark following the blue H signs.. Everything was going well untill I came to a set of lights and the road forked two ways.. So I slowed right down hopping the lights would change and I could see which way to go... The lights went red. I stopped and was looking for a blue H ... There was a women at the lights.. So I said " holiday inn ? " Wee wee.she says and jumps on the back of the bike.... When I look round there is a row of prostitutes... OH NO !
    I'm trying to explain I only want directions. An she keeps saying " holiday inn. We go " it took me 10 minutes to get her off the bike... Nearly had to drag her off ....
    Eventually I found the holiday inn.. And as I pulled into the underground car park It was nearly 1 am... I'd left my home in Surrey at 5 am to get to the ferry... Absolutely shattered ...
    As I got into bed I reflected on the day I'd had...
    Ran out of fuel.
    Didn't get shot..... In fact was helped out so generously by the farmer...
    Got great directions from the police
    Nearly picked up a prostitute by mistake..

From the ferry I'd only done about 150 miles... Of a 3,200 mile round trip.

SO THAT WAS DAY ONE OF A MEMORABLE TRIP...

THAT'S WHY I LOVE TOURING ON MY MOTORBIKE. YA NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN..

AND SURE ISN'T THAT THE BEST PART......

6. Default

WHAT a Magnificant Story Bren!!! Totally AWSOME!

You, living on that side of the pond, are use to living and dealing with different cultures in different countrys.

Americans...ain't all that "worldly". They are more self centered, and much more isolated. I can see where you would feel "Comfortable" Taking a bike trip like that across Europe.

I would never take a Bike trip again across America, like me and my wife did in the 70's. Just a different country America is now days.
    AND, I'd be arrested if I camped in a "Rest Area"!!

That trip sure was AWSOME, back when we did it though.

Thanks man....Enjoyed the Hell out of that Story...and...I hope you have a GREAT Bike ride!! It looks AWSOME! Lookin forward to hearin about it when you're done.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Great vacations!

Urban, I'd never heard of that National park before, looks very interesting.

Bren, have a blast and be safe!
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Default On route.

. Where am I gonna sit.. ??????
    Just entered ENGLAND. " they talk like d!ck van dyke in " MARY POPPINS".

Not.

Featured Sponsorr

I read your great story Bren and it reminded me of a day I was coming home from work on my Harley. I'm on the freeway and up ahead I see a biker bent over looking at his bike a strange Harley made from many different parts. I also notice he had those white oval European plates. He was stopped on the freeway right at an off ramp. I pull up and ask if he needs help. He says in broken English I'm Bob. It sounded a bit German and I asked if his machine was kaput. He nodded. There was another biker down the off ramp on another Harley. I said lets coast down there and see what we can do. The guy down the off ramp could speak better English and I think his name was Richard. There was an electrical problem with the first bike. But it would run roughly. So I told them there was a Harley dealer 11 KM up the road. We got to the HD shop and they found a broken battery cable and a defective ignition switch. They made repairs and I asked them where they were going to stay. They didn't know. I offered for them to come to my house, they could use my tools and have dinner and stay over night. So we did. My wife was in New Hampshire at a Harley event as she worked for that outfit at the time. My step daughter got real nervous and called her Mom and said you'll never guess what Dad is doing tonight. We had pizza, they had beer and we tried to communicate they worked on their bikes and had a good time. The next morning we went to a local restaurant I bought them Breakfast, took some pictures and sent them on their way. They were on a holiday and were heading for Sturgis, then to California, back to Dallas Texas and ship their bikes home. They had their bikes shipped to Chicago to start this trip.
    About three months later I get a package from Arnsdorf Germany. It had a number if things in it like oval stickers with a G in the center and a T-shirt with a picture of the three of us and our bikes and a real nice thank you letter from Richard.
    I'd do it again if I had a chance. That's bikers for you. We are having the 110th Harley reunion right now and there bikes all over the place.