Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default during urd switching/lenght of stick

Featured Sponsor

When switching hot primary....is it your companys policy to use the 14 foot barrel stick /shotgun or is it up to the lineman doing the switching....some places my require a shorter stick due to the lack of space...whats your personal preference?

Ummm I remember using a 4 footer to ddlap a jumper on some 138KV to initially energize a stretch of line bout a mileanna half long..... I mssed n the wind wuz blowin right back tward me n the arc was a comming rite down that stick to me when I managed to make a solid contact. wud not have been purdy if It took a second longer cause I wudda had me a handfulla 138. was kinda neat to see that blue arc just a movin down that stick. But now them short sticks iz outlawed

They use the standard shotgun I believe its 6 foot maybe shorter (its been awhile) but on 14.4 two men are used, one stands facing away from a possible flash with his hands are on the stick while the other man operates. If there is a flash the operator is temporary blinded and the backup can still control the stick and park the cable and assist the operator.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    They use the standard shotgun I believe its 6 foot maybe shorter (its been awhile) but on 14.4 two men are used, one stands facing away from a possible flash with his hands are on the stick while the other man operates. If there is a flash the operator is temporary blinded and the backup can still control the stick and park the cable and assist the operator.
    I think its a 7 foot stick T.... when you mentioned two men,it reminded me of plenty of times when I was having trouble pulling off an elbow and the other guy was watching.....or daydreaming.....Im like.....hey man....you cant see that I may need a little help!

Speed systems makes a pretty good tool for stuck terminators.
    PT1525 Pulling Tool Product Line

Default 8 footers here

We require 8 foot shotguns here for both OH ad UG use. Our standby trucks are allowed to use 7' 6" shotguns only because an 8' stick will not fit in the stick bin on those trucks.

Poot that just sounds plum crazy to use a 4 foot stick on 138......i bet your tail puckered up when that happened.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

Umm sho nuff it did

Default Depends on the BS people hide the padmount with.

I would use a four footer if I heat checked the elbow, and the property owner decided to put a big ass boulder in the way, right in front of the door. And what ever length to go through a couple of pine trees. Then if I cant get to it, a chainsaw a hammer destroying everything in front of the door and whatever is yellow or orange gripall length I have in front of me to open that elbow, because after that I dont care. Because no one can read the big ass label dont put anything in front of the door. And the worst I had it was an abandoned car without tires, then you just kill the whole circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    I would use a four footer if I heat checked the elbow, and the property owner decided to put a big ass boulder in the way, right in front of the door. And what ever length to go through a couple of pine trees. Then if I cant get to it, a chainsaw a hammer destroying everything in front of the door and whatever is yellow or orange gripall length I have in front of me to open that elbow, because after that I dont care. Because no one can read the big ass label dont put anything in front of the door. And the worst I had it was an abandoned car without tires, then you just kill the whole circuit.
    Ohh,they can read the label/sticker placed in front of the transformer...but they dont or they think its meant for the easter bunny which will never be in their yard.Thats one thing that will never change in this line of work.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

T-man, do you have a problem with the partial vacuum flashover on the 14.4/25kv? We were having that problem when the temps dipped below 35 degrees or so. I know your area is much colder than the Mid-Atlantic region. We began using the new elbows and inserts that take care of the problem. If we have the older style elbows/inserts, we are not allowed to switch them if the temps get below 40 degrees. We'd have to open up the fuses until the switching was complete, then re-energize. Sounds crazy I know but that 14.4 flash to ground comes up fast and loud.

We have to use 8' shotguns on all URD, but if we choose to use shorter shotguns, we can with a flash shield and FR hood on. I have the adjustable model so it basically goes 4', 6' and 8'. On Live Fronts, I try to use the 4' NX puller with the flash shield and FR hood. Those Live Fronts are wicked dangerous. Especially the ones with the porcelain Lightning Arrestors on the primary side. Most of our area is 12 kv, but we do have quite a bit of 25 kv. We can also do the switching with one T-man. As a matter of fact, it's a rule in the Safety Book that 2 people can't be on the stick at the same time. Go figure.