Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Featured Sponsor

Here at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, we have all four food groups. Inside, outside underground, overhead and substations. All of which are small scale since Lambert is less than 5000 acres. Voltage range is from 12v control and battery backup all the way to 34.5KV, a.k.a "customer equipment". Plus, throw in setting up a WiFi system covering at least 4000 acres, with an IT department that knows less than nothing. When you're expected to do everything, you end up being proficient at nothing. Anyone on this forum familiar with other airports, would like to compare.
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
    Here at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, we have all four food groups. Inside, outside underground, overhead and substations. All of which are small scale since Lambert is less than 5000 acres. Voltage range is from 12v control and battery backup all the way to 34.5KV, a.k.a "customer equipment". Plus, throw in setting up a WiFi system covering at least 4000 acres, with an IT department that knows less than nothing. When you're expected to do everything, you end up being proficient at nothing. Anyone on this forum familiar with other airports, would like to compare.
    Airports...
    Well, here in Orlando...to actually do any work at OIA, you better have about a month lead time. There is only 1-2 employees that have access to the airport "structure" who are able to EVEN get Work permits for crews to work there!! It's fuckin stupid. BUT...NOT in this day and age. And, I understand. Everybody is looked as a possible terrorist. AND...Airports are Big time Federal monitored. I use to HATE havin to work at OIA.

AND...if your work is near the runway.....
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Airports...
    Well, here in Orlando...to actually do any work at OIA, you better have about a month lead time. There is only 1-2 employees that have access to the airport "structure" who are able to EVEN get Work permits for crews to work there!! It's fuckin stupid. BUT...NOT in this day and age. And, I understand. Everybody is looked as a possible terrorist. AND...Airports are Big time Federal monitored. I use to HATE havin to work at OIA.

AND...if your work is near the runway.....
    The company I worked for had the brilliant idea years ago, to bid on and take ownership of a joint US Army, US Navy, USAF base dist/ transmission substation system. Talk about a clusterfuck! Some equipment had been installed in WW I. It was a mess to say the least, I'm sure it still is. I worked on the base many times, one of the more interesting jobs was a 3 phase xfmr a Cobra pilot put a round thru.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    The company I worked for had the brilliant idea years ago, to bid on and take ownership of a joint US Army, US Navy, USAF base dist/ transmission substation system. Talk about a clusterfuck! Some equipment had been installed in WW I.
    How could they possibly think they could make a profit on an acquisition like that?

I think something similar happened in Rantoul, Ill which is literally right outside Chanute AFB...where I was married in the Base Chapel. I know the base closed, and I'm pretty sure they sold the "base housing" to "Civilians". Actually, I Know they did. A Lineman I worked with there in 69, still lives there...and owns one of the houses on what use to be the base. I have NO Idea who the electric provider is for the base nowdays.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    How could they possibly think they could make a profit on an acquisition like that?
    At the time they were bidding against the other large electric utility in the state to see who had the bigger dick. It's still a clusterfuck.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt