Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Troublemen handling substation work?

Featured Sponsor

I'm wondering if most places have a seperate Substation troublshooting group (protective relaying, etc)...or are many Troublemen folks "doing it all" so to speak? What about your generation and switchyard protective controls? Do you get involved with those at all...or also a seperate group? How far up the system do you go?

Any words of wisdom on how you learned your Controls and protective relaying education (all on the job and short vendor classes?). I don't see anything being taught about this, and it seems more and more applicable with the constant "smart grid" changes.

Umm we took care of the minor stuff n reported it to the substation dept. stuff like low air pressure.. that wuz usually some went haywire with the compressor so rather than let the comp jus run til it burnt plum up we wud make sure the supply to it wuz terned off n report it eny thang major like a busted pin and cap insulator we just reported n let them werry bout it.we also kept an eye on stuff like low oil levels n high temp readings n we also inspected the snake electrifier around the whole sunstation bay we had major prollems with snakes crawlin up on the breakers n killin them and an entire transmisson circuit

Our Troubleshooters did the same as Poot described. They switch in stations, set regulation, pull breakers, set ground carts, test lines dead and ground for clearances. Take station load readings, record targets and reset them. Clear bus sections.

When I was in Transmission in the mid seventies to the early nineties we used to switch out and/or remove reclosing on lines we were working on if there weren't enough electricians available, then in the nineties went into distribution didn,t go into the subs unless to use the phone or the john. About ten years ago the Co. took away the linemens keys to the substation "said it was for security reasons" then they give away keys to all kinds of contractors. So now you drive 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour back to the shop if you need to use the facilities even if your working outside the substation.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Our Troubleshooters did the same as Poot described. They switch in stations, set regulation, pull breakers, set ground carts, test lines dead and ground for clearances. Take station load readings, record targets and reset them. Clear bus sections.
    I'll pile on with Poot and T-Man.

Any after hours stations switching was assigned to the troublemen.
    We wrote orders and did quarterly operational tests on breakers. In our spare time we might sit and write the switching orders for the sub crew's upcoming work.

Default Not here

I aint never heard of all of that,our troublemen do trouble outside of the sub,and less hands on than years ago.....alot less.Our substation crews did their own stuff and we did ours.Having a troubleman do that is like a substation dept.doing our urd switching orders..which we would check again and again.When our trouble guys are not busy doing trouble,there is a good chance they are doing nothing.....just like the may-tag man

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    I aint never heard of all of that,our troublemen do trouble outside of the sub,and less hands on than years ago.....alot less.Our substation crews did their own stuff and we did ours.Having a troubleman do that is like a substation dept.doing our urd switching orders..which we would check again and again.When our trouble guys are not busy doing trouble,there is a good chance they are doing nothing.....just like the may-tag man
    Now That sounds just like a Lineman bashing a Troubleman Reppy. . . . .when the "system" was running and the weather good the Trouble department looked like they had nothing to do and had an easy time of it. But when the weather turned, the "inclement weather" clause kicked in and the line guys stayed in the garage and played cards while the T-shooters took care of business. At or outfit our Troubleshooters did all I mentioned and more. Light out and flicker calls were only a small part of their job at our outfit.

8. Default

We're a small muni and we do all the substation work. I'm currently working on getting a substation certification.

9. Default Substation Troubleman

Most power companies now have full control over their subs through the Scada system electronically however, their are still manual operations that need to be executed to restore power in some instances when the system isn't functioning properly. Sometimes breakers have to be operated manually at the sub for instance and circuit Goabs opened and closed. No Big Deal.

Quote Originally Posted by URDesignerCub View Post
    I'm wondering if most places have a seperate Substation troublshooting group (protective relaying, etc)...or are many Troublemen folks "doing it all" so to speak? What about your generation and switchyard protective controls? Do you get involved with those at all...or also a seperate group? How far up the system do you go?

Any words of wisdom on how you learned your Controls and protective relaying education (all on the job and short vendor classes?). I don't see anything being taught about this, and it seems more and more applicable with the constant "smart grid" changes.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

We are in the process of finishing a new substation and I've been watching the folks from the testing company set up the relays, check the wiring, the ground grid, the cables, torque everything there is to be torqued etc.

The folks from the testing company (NETA certified) are extremely highly skilled people. A career in testing is a very difficult but high paying field.

I have an electrical control background and I'm a good troubleshooter but I have to say the schematics for switchgear and relaying are slightly different than the process control and motor control/plc stuff I'm used to.

I think the only way to break into this field is either an IBEW testing apprenticeship or getting in a utility company's relay department. It's not something that you can learn on your own because, the consequences of a mistake are catastrophic.

Our new Square D gear is amazing, all the relays are Schweitzer and even have fiber optic sensors throughout the gear to detect flashes and arcing.

Schweitzer has lots of training programs but from what I've seen, pre-requisites include either electrical engineering background or prior digital relaying training. Big $$$$ too.

At our muni, I got started because no one on staff when I got hired could trouble shoot the CT revenue meters that were not working. I rewired four CT cabinets that contractors had butchered up. Our old switchgear had GE induction relays. They look like revenue meters except the stator doesn't spin, it turns just enough to trip limit switches. Adjusting spring tension and such is how you set these up. Relaying is very cool.