Default Some pics of 500 kV glass change in northeast BC

Featured Sponsor

Here's a couple pictures from a glass change on a 500 kV line we were doing a few weeks ago, near MacKenzie, British Columbia. Normally this is work we would do barehand but there was already an outage on the circuit so we did it cold. It was good for me as a 1st term apprentice because I was up the towers working instead of having to stay on the ground. Phenomenal scenery up this way. Though I live here so I see it all the time

Default Nice

Great pictures and nice scenery..

But tie your insulators a bit further up the string or the bend crushes the W pins.. . Or use a ( what we call a bog seat ) an insulator lifting device.

Looks like a nice place to be a lineman...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

4. Default Looks good

nice picts mate,plz add more when you can,b.t.w love canada been told its like scotland only bigger

Blog Entries

Great pics Lang!!!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Great pictures and nice scenery..

But tie your insulators a bit further up the string or the bend crushes the W pins.. . Or use a ( what we call a bog seat ) an insulator lifting device.

Looks like a nice place to be a lineman...
    Because of where we had to place our rigging to lower and lift the strings of glass we've found that lifting them tied at that spot on the string was most effective. It was the right distance and the right amount of slack and angle to get the socket on the ball. The pins are also very heavy duty stainless steel and crushing them hasn't been an issue. I've only been on this crew a couple weeks but there are some very experienced transmission hands that developed the procedures we're using.

Thanks for the pointers though, it's just my understanding that after trial and error this approach has been deemed most effective for these materials and conditions.

And yes, BC is probably the best place in the world to be a lineman. The variety of terrain and scenery in this province is unreal. Anybody who has never been here should definitely visit. Cheers Bren!

Default pics

Featured Sponsorr

cool pics buddy
    engineers aren,t god,s