Default Need Advice on wheteher or not to go Union.

Featured Sponsor

Hey everybody. I am a third year apprentice with a large cooperative (non-union) in the southwest. I have been in the industry going on four years, but I have always had the desire to join the NJATC and get my yellow card. The thing is I'm married with two kids, so the travelling would be tough. My wife and I have both talked it over and we think we can make it work. I just wanted an idea as to how much overtime to expect. I'm gonna try and go with either Mountain States or Southwest Line Constructors because those would keep me in the closest proximity to my family.

I'm currently making right at 30.00/hr, once I finish my apprenticeship I will be around 36.00/hr. I know money isn't everything, but when you have mouths to feed it is an important thing.

Thanks for the advice...

My advice is not bank on OT. Its wonderful to make big bucks but if you out spend your income you are always trying to make ends meet. Make a plan, have a budget, if you make more than you budget for, then save some for tighter times and stick with your plan. If you spend pay check to paycheck then you will run into problems sooner or later. always plan a little towards retirement. You have to raise the kids, send them to school, feed the family, keep the transportation running dependable, repair the roof, have some fun and save some. if you base that all on OT , when OT dries up you are boned.

I guess it hasn't much to do with being in a Union or not.

Thanks for the advice T-man, but it is about going union because I want the experience that the NJATC will offer. I will not get that sort of experience at the Co-op I am at. I guess I was just wanting some reassurance that the pay will not drop dramatically while I am getting that experience. My wife and I stick to a really strict budget; its really a necessity when raising kids.

Featured Sponsorr

This isnt what you want to hear.

If your budget is tight now itll get even tighter when your trampin around as an apprentice. Per diem (subsistance) doesnt go far. Fuel, rv park/motel, food, rent/mortage and food costs back at home, trailer payment, truck maintenance/tires, and whatever other expenses you dont have when youre working out of your house.

If your wife and kids stay home while your traveling itll get stressful on her and maybe you. Could end up in a divorce, add that cost in there as well. Add in costs of traveling home every once in a blue moon to see your family (if shes still there) for a day and a half, then back out to work. Its likely the JATC wont start you off any higher than a second step ape. You will be making around what you are now if you came to CAL/Nev. Its real expensive here, everyfu(kingthing is.

I say finish your apprenticeship where your at and top out. Then you can challenge the lineman test.