Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Smile

Featured Sponsor

In costal area we used a 15' pole and arms as the braces. It was right on the beach. and It is still standing after 6 years.

Post Bog Shoes

Our Bog shoes are a 30-6 pole cut in half with x-arms to attach to the pole about 5' above the bog shoe and about 6 ' out on the shoe. One thing do not drill thru the main pole at the bog shoe this encourages rot. We have replaced the horizontal pieces before and the main pole is still good because we had no bore holes in the water on the main pole.

Default "old Technology"

All the stuff on here is "old technology". Up here where we have lots of bog and muskeg we use "Screw Piling". Screw in some 5"- 1/4" wall pipe to refusal. Band or bolt the pipe to the pole.

Screw Piling is technology that was developed here for the Oil Patch. All foundations for facilities, pump jacks etc. is on either driven piles or screw piling.
    MY WORK IS MY PLAY!!

Cool Meditation.........

Quote Originally Posted by SBatts View Post
    Well it might be old technology to you but it is still used nation wide, and will still be used after you're dead.
    It appears that you are victim of FUNCTIONAL FIXATION and HABITUAL SET. Try some some meditation and self examination. It could set you free!!
    MY WORK IS MY PLAY!!

Default bog shoes

we're using a lot of bog shoes at the moment i'm curently working on a 110kv line in county offaly ireland . the power station run's on peat or turf if your a local the whola area around the station is peat bog .we're using 20meter poles and a lot of bog shoes .
    they consist of two sleepers on the bottom with ten lying across them bolted on with a box like shape on top will post some links to the station its quite an impressive operation

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/245757

http://www.esb.ie/downloads/about_esb/west_offaly.pdf

http://www.flickr.com/photos/climate...nd/3820436294/
    engineers aren,t god,s

When stubbing an old pole it much easier to use2 pole bands than to bore holes and bolt em together. Use half a pole band on the stub and the other half on the pole and tie them together with long DA bolts. when ya tighten all that down you have a pretty substansial anchor....... do it twice once at the top of the stub and once at the base and yer all done with no need for power tools or long ass drill bits.

thought id share a fairly obvious trick for pulling up numerous spans of 3 phase wire whether it be storm related or out in the open new construction.get your wire laid up or in dollies up to the deadend and hang a dolly on each end of the deadend arm. get a long straightline and run 1 end thru each dolly to a kellum or grip on ur outside phases leaving the middle of the rope on the guy side or backside of the deadend.hook a sheave or dolly on the middle of the straightline and rig to a truck or winchline or whatever, come up on it, and that dollyattached to the truck will act as an evener and bring up ur wire together. pretty common trick but ive seen a lotta guys fight one phase at a time rackin their deadend arm around and causing extra trouble straightening everything. wont work in every situation but when it does can be a real timesaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    When stubbing an old pole it much easier to use2 pole bands than to bore holes and bolt em together. Use half a pole band on the stub and the other half on the pole and tie them together with long DA bolts. when ya tighten all that down you have a pretty substantial anchor....... do it twice once at the top of the stub and once at the base and yer all done with no need for power tools or long ass drill bits.
    Had a machine shop make me a bit with a long extension...was about 2 1/2 times longer than a regular bit........worked like a champ........but done it the banded way a few times when the gas drill wouldn't crank and we were a ways from a truck with hydraulics.....
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

9. Default

Running a new single phase through a deep hollow or something similar, I'd use a bow and shoot an arrow across with P-line attached to the arrow. Tie a rope onto the p-line and pull it across then pull the conductor in with the rope. If you have two reels of wire you can pull both across and go on down the line.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by baronthered View Post
    Running a new single phase through a deep hollow or something similar, I'd use a bow and shoot an arrow across with P-line attached to the arrow. Tie a rope onto the p-line and pull it across then pull the conductor in with the rope. If you have two reels of wire you can pull both across and go on down the line.
    I tie a p line round one of my grunts belt loops so I don't loose em (good ones are hard to find). Then I have em take of down the line dragging another rope or the line itself behind em.