Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Cool

Featured Sponsor

Back in 63 when I started, an old lineman showed me to get an old solid rubber ball (soft) and stick all the groundwire nails and clips in it. That way you pull out a nail and clip each time without digging in your ditty bag among all the other junk (Split bolts,scrap wire ends, etc.) If he was an old Lineman in 63, just think how old this trick of the trade is. LOL
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

Default cutting inline opening in

I Use This Sometimes When Troubleshoting A Line For A Temp Opening.i Put A Wrap On Both End Off The Bells And Wrap Them On To The Wire.then Cut The Wire In The Middle And Bend Tails Up .no Hoist Need For Now.works Great Off The Wood Or In A Bucket.the Line Is Grd And Dead.be Safe.

lightningrod Guest

Thumbs up Neat idea

Sounds like a neat trick there Polehiker, think I'll borrow one off my boys sponge road hockey balls and give it a try.

Linemo Guest

Swamprat you just hit on something that is in need of me getting up on my soapbox and talking about!!! To all lineman and apprentices listen and always make this your number one priority when you are building any type of line work remember to build everything like you were in your hooks !Why you ask if you turn all your hot line clamps toward the pole when you have to climb it you wont be cussing because its turned away from the pole and make you do something you shouldnot have to in the first place !It only takes a minute to look down and see that maybe if you turned the the cutout a little it would make it a little better for when you cant get your bucket there just like running underground cables up the pole look up from the ground first and see where you would have to be to do the work in your hooks and move it to another spot leaving the good climbing spot open!! Sorry for rambling on but if we all worked this way it will make it better when someone else has to come back{maybe you} and climb it and the first thing he sees is it was built out of a bucket and its damn near impossible for him to do out of his tools!!!

farky Guest

Default next guy

man that sure is a lost art there. thinking about the next guy till some nite in a hell of a rain u have to climb up and low and behold the sorry sob that short cutted his work and now u gotta work ur ass off because of him.teach the new guys to think about the next guy it may be you.

lightningrod Guest

Red face Pride in workmenship

Quote Originally Posted by farky
    man that sure is a lost art there. thinking about the next guy till some nite in a hell of a rain u have to climb up and low and behold the sorry sob that short cutted his work and now u gotta work ur ass off because of him.teach the new guys to think about the next guy it may be you.
    Couldn't have been better stated Farky, I do the work right the first time as I might be back up there again if I didn't.

will Guest

Default tricks of trade

Hey Swamprat started linework in june of 77,i work on bucket truck with two lineman now almost 23 yrs. Was digger derrick operater for 5 yrs. Love to watch young guns work on the ground so funny ,like seeing myself years ago.The work has come a long way. My frist foreman was old school started in the late forty,s had to walk the line with him.

DuFuss Guest

One thing that can be helpful if you don't wear a chin strap on your hard hat is a piece of number 6 copper bent to form a hook. You can hang this in your toolboard and hang carter keys on it. Make it longer and you can hang nuts on it that come off your deadend shoes or 3 angle shoes.

Your lineman ratchet will come in handy when you are needing to bend some half inch guy wire. Just take the short tail that was left and pry it out with your flat head and slip your wrench over it with the small hole down. Now you can get some leverage to bend it out and bond your guys. This is probally violating some saftey rule as it is improper use of a tool, but we don't do that sort of thing do we? (Myself? I bought my tools to use.)

This tool is simple. It is just a twelve inch by half inch bolt. I wrap tape around it a the head for a thicker grip. Countless times I have used it to drive out old bolts, tighten hotline clamps or remove Jhooks. Countless times I have seen people use a 5/8" bolt to remove another 5/8" bolt only to have to remove the one they drove in. Bolt was free, tape was free. This is probally violating some saftey rule as it is a makeshift tool, but we don't do that sort of thing do we?

This tool is handy for removing staples, straightening squares and removing carter keys. You will probally drop the carter key so keep some extras. I only use it for that when I am trying to remove one that I is difficult to get with my hand or difficult to get to with my kliens once the hand fails me. (Square Cleves.) Tool reads ENDERES E5 5/8.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Houston, twenty yrs at HL&P then 3 yrs on the road.

Talking There is thousands of em out der that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat
    Found quite a few in later years. AND...they were a pain in the Ass.
    Reminds me of my fourteen years on nights... Many a cold rainy night when I was out der by my lonesome, I'd refuse a switch, n when I'd close it, it'd drop open... I discovered if'n ya held it up der just barely open you could draw a small arc N weld the barrel to the switch... Probably some of em out der still holdin... Later when one of em did drop back open I knew to dodge that order til daylight.
    From all dem years of trouble shootin URD drops, I put another pain in the gazoo out der for the enjoyment of future trouble men... When you are diggin lookin fer the drops ya gotta stop N figure out which ones ya have as you come to a set of wires... When hookin up new services we started markin the wire wit colored tape... So I'd take the excess ya cut off, mark it wit tape... lay it in the trench just below the surface with the ends barely stuck up under the transformer pad... Right when a fella stuck his shovel in the ground he would think he knicked the drops... I just imagine their faces when they discover after ten min's of careful diggin that it is a fake set of drops... There is thousands of em out der that way...
    2Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial matters? 3Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 1Corinthians 6

Featured Sponsorr

When jackstrapping a small conductor to the insulator, don't use your good bulldogs. Use a service catchoff. Troublemen never get their grips back from the line crews.