Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Default Speedy tx swing to new pole

Featured Sponsor

Time to share some knowledge with you guys.

Ever reconductor an existing line, complete with pole change-outs? Yeah. I thought so.

Here is one of the tricks from up my sleeve.

I have seen many men struggle with the effort of transfering a transformer from one pole to another.

I have seen guy rig two hoists. or a set of blocks, drop the tx to the ground, then pull it up the new pole.

Bah Humbug!

Generally the new pole is taller. Rig a tx gin off that pole (after the primary has been tranferred). Cut the old pole just above the tx.

Next. get a strain on the tx from a hoist rigged off the new pole.

Then, tie off a tag line to the grunts, who love to pull things, to the tx.

Call for the chain saw! Cut the old pole just below the tx, using a snap cut.

Get the grunt to get a strain on the tx against how it's going to swing.

Snap the pole, let the grunt ease off the tag. The tx, still bolted to a small section of pole will gently swing into position on the new pole .

Just back off the tx bolts from the small old pole section, remove it, and throw it at a grunt.

Jack the tx into position on the new pole and...well I hope you can take it from here.

I've got a million of 'em.

A rigging fool.

Linetrash

Smile instlling bridle guys with out pullers

a small but useful trick. When installing a bridle guy on a two pole structure, after your pole buddy has his on his pole take the guy wire put it over your belt stretch it to were it should go bend it and install a preform [only with a couple of wraps incase you have to re do it] at the bend. Make sure that the bolt for the guy hook is not tight and install the preform as you tighten up the guy hook it will tighen up the bridle make sure the nut is on the outside makes it easier to tighten.
    work safe or not at all Spur

stratcat Guest

Default concentric neutral

Hey linefriends,

I've been reading the forums for quite sometime and have really enjoyed them. Thought I would share this trick with everyone. With URD wire, such as 1/0, remove the jacket and wrap the end of the concentric just enough that it will fit in the end of your cordless drill. Tighten down the drill and drill forward. It tightens the concentric tight and fast. Works really well.

P.S. This is my first posting, hope I went about it right.

Stratcat

pole splinter Guest

Smile

Hey guys,
    We get alot of real hard cca (green poles) now at our utility.It can be a real pain to drive date nails,copper ground wire staples,and underground shield lags into these things they call cca poles.I have gotten into the habit of spraying wd-40 on these things before you drive them in with your hammer.
    We do this on new construction/dead work only.
    On a new roll of tri-plex the end of the wire has two rubber caps on the hot legs,these are nice to slip on temporarily to some tri-plex up on the pole were you have cut the hot jumpers and the customer is doing an upgrade and you will be back later in the day to hook ' em back up,saves a little time and aggravation with tape while on hooks.They fit nice on the handles of channel locks on your belt so you can grab them easy to.3/0 underground wire caps fit real well on your sidecut/dikes handles to , seems to give them a better feel with rubber gloves on to,plus you can easily find your sidecuts when everybody's tools are mixed up on the ground.

Default Nuts, Nuts and more Nuts

Easy one, some don't know about! Got a M.F. nut or pal nut twisted on tight? Loosen 3 turns off regular nut, then turn your lineman's wrench upsidedown, place on bolt, and hit with your hammer! Presto, the nut is staight again, and will come off with your fingers!

MAVERICK Guest

Default For the guys on the ground

How 'bout this one guys.

Ever have those pain in the ass pole butts that broke at ground level? You know, the ones that you have to dig down about 18 inches, wrap a chain around it and if you are lucky the chain might grab. If your chain slips, try cutting a notch in the butt with a chain saw giving the chain something to grab or try hammering a ground rod through the center of the butt, grab the ground rod with a little mule grip and pick that with your winch.

Works for me!!!

Apples Guest

How about this Maverick. Position your truck so an outrigger is over the ground level pole butt. Press that sucker down about 3,4 inches and cover with dirt,go to lunch. I sure miss the old days!!!

Cool

Brings back memories Apples. Did a few that way myself.I also pulled a few with the ground rod trick too. Glad to see a few of the old tricks of the trade are still around. Bet these young'uns still push one down now and then too.
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

DuFuss Guest

So that's the reason we hit a pole in the ground when we do a changeout...

I like to use some hardheads. I drive them in around the side and put a choker cable on it. Sometimes I put the auger on the ground and just yank it out. If it's rotten then it doesn't work so well.

bull Guest

Thumbs up pole butts

Featured Sponsorr

I have found that if you drive a pipe of about 1 1/2' diameter about 2-3 ft into the butt and hook your pole chain around the pipe you can pull it right out. The local rea I work with just has some scraps of ridgid pipe and we leave them in the pole.