Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

[QUOTE=rob8210;119622]Cut and kicks aren't too bad, you have to be a bit choosy about them. 2 rbd's are ideal but if you only have 1 available it can be done. I have done a few in my time. Grab the pole with an rbd, cut it off a bit above ground ( enough to pull the butt out), place pole on ground behind the butt, tie off with bull rope ( 3 ways), then clear rbd, remove old pole butt and install new pole. Then transfer eguipment or tie off to new pole. Voila all done[/QUOTE___________ I've had good luck using a 10' Xarm bolted to the pole as a stiff leg doing cut and kicks. Make the first third of your cut thru the pole, bolt your arm on, then finish the cut from the other side of the pole to meet it. Pick your pole and set it down on an outrigger pad so the end of the arm doesn't sink or pop thru the asphalt (depending on conditions) , you don't lose any height so everthing will transfer straight across and you end up with 7 or 8 feet of pole to grab with your claws to shake the crap out of to help loosen it up for pulling. You ca even gain height if you slack all your services and communications, make your cut lower and raise the pole and then drill and bolt it on. You can gain a few feet if you might need it for some unknown reason. That 10' Xarm will hold the world.
    Last edited by gumbo; 03-20-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: post run together with the quote???

2. Default

[QUOTE=gumbo;124114]
    Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Cut and kicks aren't too bad, you have to be a bit choosy about them. 2 rbd's are ideal but if you only have 1 available it can be done. I have done a few in my time. Grab the pole with an rbd, cut it off a bit above ground ( enough to pull the butt out), place pole on ground behind the butt, tie off with bull rope ( 3 ways), then clear rbd, remove old pole butt and install new pole. Then transfer eguipment or tie off to new pole. Voila all done[/QUOTE___________ I've had good luck using a 10' Xarm bolted to the pole as a stiff leg doing cut and kicks. Make the first third of your cut thru the pole, bolt your arm on, then finish the cut from the other side of the pole to meet it. Pick your pole and set it down on an outrigger pad so the end of the arm doesn't sink or pop thru the asphalt (depending on conditions) , you don't lose any height so everthing will transfer straight across and you end up with 7 or 8 feet of pole to grab with your claws to shake the crap out of to help loosen it up for pulling. You ca even gain height if you slack all your services and communications, make your cut lower and raise the pole and then drill and bolt it on. You can gain a few feet if you might need it for some unknown reason. That 10' Xarm will hold the world.

Pretty much how we do it except usually once cut and kicked we will hold the pole with a class 45 trucks jib while the cat (rbd) sets the new pole. once new pole is guyed, rope the old on off to the new one and start tranferring.

ummm when raising a laaaarge wire let the hydraulics do the work your back will thank you years later

ummm when raising a laaaarge wire let the hydraulics do the work your back will thank you years later

Default getting locates

When requesting for getting underground utilities located for a pole change out tell them you want a 10 foot radius from the pole (or pole stake). This makes them actually have to locate the lines (usually) instead of just painting a 2 foot radius circle around the pole locations. Around here the locators for phone and CATV are real bad about putting paint where you are going to dig if any of there stuff is within 10 feet of where you are wanting to dig. I've even seen them paint locate marks in one spot for their lines to make us hand dig our holes then a month later their lines have magically moved completely out of the area of the pole line and in the area where another company or utiltiy was needing to dig.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

I liked to not tighten the bolt until I had the preform on,then tighten it up.

7. Default

Crossarm gin to pickup 250cu on a slight angle, hot reframe line and buck, move the center phase on a kingpin, used a 8ft arm with fiber slings and link sticks held by eye bolts, works well, this was a tall pole so we had to use a 77ft bucket.

Last edited by ODBank; 11-28-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Looks good to me OD,lots of cover and a good crossarm trick...I wonder which companies wouldnt allow it,some will say your working two different phases at one time....waiting for responces.Where is that photo located anyway?

9. Default

I must say, od banks photo has to be taken on PG@E soil.

10. Red face my trick of the trade

Featured Sponsorr

i keep a hand line block in the bucket for saging small wire