Default Questions about MSLCAT

Featured Sponsor

Hey guys, I am very interested in joining the Mountain States JATC program. I graduated from line college in December of last year and worked for a contractor for six months to gain some experience. I am currently working out of the trade and about to turn in an application. I am very excited!
    I understand it is a travel extensive program, it looks like a pretty awesome opportunity to see some new scenery. What I'd like to try and learn about is the not so technical part of it. What is life like while completing an apprenticeship through the JATC? Should I expect to not really have a life at all outside of work for the next few years? I already have a truck and trailer to blow the cob webs out of and i'm packed pretty light right now in hopes to be hitting the road as soon as possible. Also, those that are in or have been in the program what are your opinions on it? I feel like it is a really good way to go, I just can't find too much information on it.

Thanks everyone in advance, I look forward to reading your responses.

Default I think You'll still have a Life

Depends on what you do outside of work. For the most part you'll be working a 40 hour week. That should leave you plenty of time to do whatever you want.

Assuming your young, there is never going to be a better time to do it than right now!!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Interesting, I guess I figured 40 hours just wouldn't be enough to get things done. Working in North Dakota it was not uncommon to work 16 hour days on the line crew that I worked on. Do you have any more insight for me? I'm very excited to get back into linework. It really is an itch once you do it, it doesn't seem like it's very easy to let go of.

4. Default It Depends

I'm a second year MSLCAT apprentice. The answer to all your questions is that it depends. Most apprentices work 40 hour weeks minimum. Some work 50's some work 80's, it just depends on what you are doing. It can be a job where you are on the road a lot, or you could get stuck in Denver for a year or three. In my situation I stated in Denver on a transmission job working 70's for three months then working for the same company in the same city doing substations 50 hour weeks for 8 months. I wasn't learning anything so I asked for a layoff and got transferred to Montana doing Distribution working 4 10's with a good amount of storm work so far. I know people that have been in a different city every other month, and I know people that have spent three years in the same city. Expect to travel and it will probably happen, but if you get on with a job or a company that has a lot of work, you could be there a while. If you are getting bored/restless or not learning anything you ask for a transfer and move on once you've been there for 6 months.
    MSLCAT gets slow in the winter. You just missed their big hiring window for the year (they might be hiring a little more for the next month, but it usually winds down right about now.). Go to the Interview, Go to the Orientation, and expect to get indentured and start working next June to September.

Life with the apprenticeship is pretty normal. you go to work and when you are off, you are off. The only big difference is that you can't really commit to anything and have to be ready to move at a moments notice. The NJATC is the best program in the nation. Great training, great pay/retirement. It's worth the sacrifice. When you finish you can get a job anywhere working any kind of work or hours you want, Do it now. get back in the trade as a groundman if you can, it will look better when you interview, thee is a lot of competition.
    Last edited by 20320AK; 10-31-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Default Orientation!

After a long wait for an interview, I finally got my shot to impress the panel! I made number 11 on the list which doesn't look too awful from where I am sitting. Orientation is coming up in the middle of May, it looks like things will be speeding up from here out!
    At this point I am curious where the work is? What are my future fellow apprentices up to? I think it'd be pretty interesting to know the who what when and where of the online community of MSLCAT. I'd also like to thank the users for some very insightful answers.
    Oh and for a real question, what are you guys spending on fuel monthly? I'll be pulling my trailer around with an old gasser so I'm assuming a lot for myself.
    Here's to a whole new lifestyle!
    Last edited by Ihaup; 05-02-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added some stuff

Featured Sponsorr

Ihaup, how did your orientation go? Are you currently working? I finally landed an interview is mslcat and any pointers for the interview would be greatly appreciated.