Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default ????????????-mark

Featured Sponsor

Heres one....thought Id throw a wrench into this hotsticking thread...........As most of you know,Im in the south,so I dont know about this as much as others might.....This is what I need to ask.....how do you hotstick when your working on a energized line that is ....well frozen.....preforms, tie wire all frozen together.....do you isolate that section and work it by hand......do you try beating the ice off......dont give me that torch stuff either...

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Heres one....thought Id throw a wrench into this hotsticking thread...........As most of you know,Im in the south,so I dont know about this as much as others might.....This is what I need to ask.....how do you hotstick when your working on a energized line that is ....well frozen.....preforms, tie wire all frozen together.....do you isolate that section and work it by hand......do you try beating the ice off......dont give me that torch stuff either...
    I have always used a hotstick called a hand. The tool has several tools in one used for tying and untying conductor. One part of the tool has a hook that works well digging through ice to grip the tie wire. This tool works best on copper but I have used it on aluminum as well.

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post
    I have always used a hotstick called a hand. The tool has several tools in one used for tying and untying conductor. One part of the tool has a hook that works well digging through ice to grip the tie wire. This tool works best on copper but I have used it on aluminum as well.
    Thanks,I was beginning to think that nobody would answer that one.You proved me wrong.....sounds like you been through some tough weather.....but have you seen anything like this? http://news.yahoo.com/video/whoknew-...175008791.html

Hey Tramp, would you have a picture of this tool? Just like Lewy we are allowed to rubber glove up to 5kv off the pole ( same rules) . Since we are a contractor we do whatever job we are given, safely. We are allowed to rubber glove up to 27.6 (technically 34.5kv but there is none around). Barehand 44kv midspan only. Hotstick as needed. There is allowance for rubber gloving under 15kv off an insulated platform but I have never seen that done in my time on. Most fellas just isolate and ground it! The only time I have ever been involved in working off a insulated platform was at lineschool, the same with hotsticking off the pole.

Rob, I bet that tool will show up in the catalog at the top of the forums page.Just need to know what it's name is.

Umm My faverite wuzza 8 ft long triangular extendo thaT i KEPT IN THE BUCKET. It wuz awesum fer extendin my reach inna short pekkered bucket truck. I bleve they been outlawed now I dunno but I used it more than once thru a fence while werkin urd

The Hand. Never used a torch but road flares work well.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks Sully, I have never seen a stick like that, it looks like a real handy tool. You don't suppose it is made as an attachment for a universal stick ?

I aint ever seen anything like it either...why would I..........I is in da south.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Thanks Sully, I have never seen a stick like that, it looks like a real handy tool. You don't suppose it is made as an attachment for a universal stick ?
    That one is made by SafetyLine, I don't think they are in business, but Salisbury did buy them. Here you go...
    http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/hps/da...hot_line_tools