Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Wires hanging from utility poles are causing automobile accidents.

Featured Sponsor

I have been photographing wires hanging from utility poles that have tangled with and caused automobile accidents. These can be found on flickr by searching "national electrical code" in quotes. A wire in the road is a violation of DOT law. A wire on the sidewalk is an ADA violation. The justice department will investigate any public official who harasses a citizen for photographing such a violation or making a report of it. A wire on business property is an OSHA violation. Both the united states forest service and the BLM are aware that downed wires are a fire hazard. Radio operators have always been aware of arcing between a guy wire and it's anchor as a source of radio noise. I'm giving the utilities a choice either hire workers to fix the problems of face fines and criminal charges. Notice wires that have already caused accidents are evidence. Evidence tampering even by the utilities is a felony.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclehazard View Post
    I have been photographing wires hanging from utility poles that have tangled with and caused automobile accidents. These can be found on flickr by searching "national electrical code" in quotes. A wire in the road is a violation of DOT law. A wire on the sidewalk is an ADA violation. The justice department will investigate any public official who harasses a citizen for photographing such a violation or making a report of it. A wire on business property is an OSHA violation. Both the united states forest service and the BLM are aware that downed wires are a fire hazard. Radio operators have always been aware of arcing between a guy wire and it's anchor as a source of radio noise. I'm giving the utilities a choice either hire workers to fix the problems of face fines and criminal charges. Notice wires that have already caused accidents are evidence. Evidence tampering even by the utilities is a felony.
    I don't know where you are going with this, but I didn't see any pictures of downed power lines. The closest I saw was a triplex service going over a portable pool, and the answer to that is move the pool! The only other picture even close is a picture of a mess of communication wires on a pole, which is not a power line issue. If you have some pictures of actual accidents, Near missis, or injuries due to power lines and powerlineman to report then post those.

I am all in favor of hiring more workers, but if you are a lawyer I think you have your facts all F**ked up!!

Default on your bke..

I've always been of the opinion that cyclists are fair game... They don't pay to use roads.. But as over head wires being a problem to bikes....
    I would bet that they aren't really a "REAL PROBLEM". I've never been aware of a problem .... And I rember penny farthings......
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Blog Entries

Tramp is 100% on the money......

Your position to attempt to force utility companies to hire linemen is admirable.

I must assume the utilities you are attempting to force increase staff are the Telco and Catv companies. If that is not the case, you're barking up the wrong tree, the bulk of your photos are telco and Catv. The electric issues that I saw on your pics are customer issues not the power co.

again, the electric utility staffing levels are woefully inadequate and need more linemen, but your pics don't prove that.......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Could someone please post a link to the above pictures? I'm having trouble finding them. Thanks
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Quote Originally Posted by loodvig View Post
    Could someone please post a link to the above pictures? I'm having trouble finding them. Thanks
    I had trouble finding it too. This is how I found it. Search flickr photo sharing then in flickr search "national electric code"

7. Default

I'm in Birmingham Al at the moment having returned after a years absence. This area is not as bad as the lines installed by the TVA however I noticed a great increase in downed lines in 1 year. The guy wire shown is around 300 feet long and fell after rusting through rather than pulling an eyelet out of the pole as is usually the case. I managed to flag down an Alabama Power company truck and he said he would call it in. A short link is below as always they are GPS tagged. If you have suggestions as to how they should be tagged let me know. https://flic.kr/p/Q528yw

Blog Entries

I saw no wires down in your pics
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    I saw no wires down in your pics
    Yes that's the problem. It is a 7 stranded guy wire. I also took some videos of it being run over. There is a complex pattern in the road showing how the wire has moved. Download the photo and zoom in. It can be snagged now by any one trying to park.

Featured Sponsorr

I am not positive because of the picture quality, but it looks like an old span guy crossing the road.