Thread: Am I too old?

1. Default Am I too old?

Featured Sponsor

Hey guys so here is my situation. I'm 33 years old living in Massachusetts. I applied once with Union 104 to become an apprentice about 2 years ago but I never got a call. However when I talked to the contractors for the panel interview they seemed pretty reasonable and they recommended that I get a class A CDL. (At the time I had the minimum requirement which is a class B permit) So since then I got a class A CDL and I've been driving linehaul for FedEx. Honostly its a great gig but I'm not sure if its a long term career with driverless trucks on the horizon. Also it would be nice to have a job on the day shift again.

If I work linehaul for another year (2022) I should be able to save enough money to go to lineschool and pay the ticket up front rather than take on loans. If I saved for a year and went to lineshool I would be 35.

So here are my questions and any advice and experience is appreciated.

Is 35 too old to become an apprentice?

Do you all know anyone who entered to field that late?

For anyone living in Massachusetts can I get on with National Grid as a lineworker apprentice right out of lineschool?

Are there any books or training I can read during 2022 while I save money?

Let me know your thoughts and advice

- Jeremy

2. Default

No, you are not too old. My mentor became a lineman at 46. I quit my corporate job at 40 and became a lineman at 41. White collar to blue collar and NOT a single person questioned me at the union, employer, among groundmen, foreman, GFs, or during the apprenticeship, once they saw my determination. Note. I run, swim, work out at the gym daily, stretch, and eat clean since age 19. I am an in-shape 41. So, as long as you are in excellent physical shape and work smart, this career is your oyster. Good luck and best wishes.

Featured Sponsorr

I topped out at 38, so basically the same timeline as you. I have also worked with apprentices who started later than me.