Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pole finished to spec

Featured Sponsor

Few pictures of the finished pole.. Wired to our company's specifications.. All finished except 100amp fuse in the fuse carrier and barb wire to be put on the frame .. It's an 11kv terminal pole witch is a spur off the main line..fed by ug cable..the transformer feeds a single house/ farm with 240 volts..
    the earthing on the pole is critical to being allowed onto the system. The surge arrestors have to be earthed in one un broken run in green and yellow 32 mm copper ( minimum ) the steel work including the transformer , x arm, cable carrying frame etc all have to be bonded together ( same potential ) ...
    Bottom line...if it ain't done right ..it fails inspection.. I get hauled in to explain WHY. Fail a couple of inspection an your down the road..
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Default u FAILED MY INSPECTION

nO wildlife protection....sorry Bren go back and start again......( F-plus)

Default None

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    nO wildlife protection....sorry Bren go back and start again......( F-plus)
    None required here Reppy.. When I worked in New Zealnd..last job before we finished was to fit the possum Gaurd ..
    in the UK we've no mammals that climb poles....

in the UK we've no mammals that climb poles....Umm I rectum that inkludes Linemen mammals too huh?

Default Proof......today

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    in the UK we've no mammals that climb poles....Umm I rectum that inkludes Linemen mammals too huh?
    Took this today Poot.. Just to prove we climb..had to dismantle the fuse arm as new fuses up the line make these redundant. And then jumper it through.
    Happy now. ?

Question,why don't you use a thimble-eye bolt for your stays/guys?

Default Because..

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew View Post
    Question,why don't you use a thimble-eye bolt for your stays/guys?
    These lines are built to a maximum and very exact design ..To maximise strength on the poles.. The least amount of pressure on a single point is essential.. Instead of drilling a hole in the pole at its max pressure point thus weakening the structure ..
    by using a pole top wrap it distributes the load over a greater bearing area. .. .. Less chance of rot getting in around a rusty bolt hole increases the chance of longevity ... We some times use thimbles on lv lines which aren't under as much tension..
    better pics of pole top wraps..might explain it better for ya Hebrew..
    Last edited by bren guzzi; 03-03-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm so freaking confused....... First you say there ain't no mammals that climb poles in the UK. Then you post a pic of a mammal up the pole.......

in a previous thread you say you ain't allowed to climb poles cuz of safety reasons...... But ya got pics of mammals on the wood, like in said, I'm freaking confused.....!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default Explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    I'm so freaking confused....... First you say there ain't no mammals that climb poles in the UK. Then you post a pic of a mammal up the pole.......

in a previous thread you say you ain't allowed to climb poles cuz of safety reasons...... But ya got pics of mammals on the wood, like in said, I'm freaking confused.....!!
    Its against our rules for a lineman/mammal to climb a pole " IF YOU CAN GET A BUCKET TO THE POLE".. As we tried to get a bucket land rover to the pole and it sank in the mud ( and has yet to be recovered) we had fulfilled our safety rule obligation.. It was hence deemed justifiable to spike up..

Dave will be pleased with being called a mammal. It's a lot nicer than what I called him after "drowning " our bucket land rover.....

Featured Sponsorr

Am I looking at this right? You guys used a strand from the guy/stay and curl it up and wrap it around the bolts on the arm to ground that arm......what a pain in da a$$