Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default They tell you 65 degrees off the back axle!

Featured Sponsor

On those trucks you can't go out 140 feet unless you are outriggers are ok. And they won't let you move if you are not 65 degrees from the back axle. When you are so far up you can't hear high speed and low speed most of the time, and you forget what position sometimes on the throttle and when you swing it's like cracking a whip when it's on high speed. And you can't cheat those outriggers, they have to be really firm on the ground, sensors won't let you fly if it's a 1/8 bubble off. Maybe a good wind event? Maybe got binded up top? Seen cribbing suck down a quarter of an inch and moved ten feet up top. But those trucks are super safe now a days. If they are not set up right they won't let you fly! Were they clipping or dead ending? Or just putting up blocks?
    Last edited by bobbo; 05-01-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Haven't seen anything since initial report and pictures can only assume and that aint good. Has anybody heard anything about equipment failure or bad set up?

3. Default

Pretty sure they were working with a crane and a basket, not a bucket truck. I thought I saw a better picture when it happened but I can't find it now. Could be wrong..
    Last edited by Trouble1; 05-01-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Default Operators are trained pretty well to move that crane and load check.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble1 View Post
    Pretty sure they were working with a crane and a basket, not a bucket truck. I thought I saw a better picture when it happened but I can't find it now. Could be wrong..
    Big companies. Small companies. I had really good operators that would move the crane through every move before a man hit that basket. You can plan all you want. And the experience of the operator to position the crane for maximum access of the structure and maximum safety of the crane and the people going in. They call it a preflight. Then once a week they put a load in the basket and weight test the basket and give it a thorough inspection. On high line, operators are the valuable men. That's why operators stay with the companies and lineman get layed off. They don't like fly by night operators. For my safety, I like that. It's their crane and I am taking it for a ride doing what needs to get done. Operators are the ones with all the liability. They will tell you all their rules they have and you follow. If it was remote operation in the basket then the rules would change. I wouldn't understand using remote when your so far up you couldn't see the condition of the outriggers and you wouldnt hear all the alarms and bells in the operator cab. And if you are that high up you wouldn't be able to hear anyone on the ground if something was wrong. With the wind and crane running. Even with radios it's a pain because wind hits the mic and the operator can't hear transmissions. I just hand signal. I believe keep the operator with an assigned crane. He will know the maintenance schedule, it's condition, he can hear and know it needs greased. . . I hate slip seating a crane with different operators. I hate lineman jumping in that might have a certification but don't have the experience of doing it every day. I can't speculate what happened, but that's really sad.

Featured Sponsorr

Information I heard was they were running the crane from the basket with the remote. Crane was having issues, boom moving with jerking motions and very erratic. Another crew supposedly refused to use the crane, deeming it unsafe prior to the accident. Sounds as if the hydraulic system may have had air in it, possibly low on hydraulic oil or pump issues.
    Living my life and loving it!!!