Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Default Handling energized wire...Different thoughts....

Featured Sponsor

Without going into reasons why, or details at this moment, I wanted to see what you guys think (or were taught) is proper for handling live wire in a few different situations. This is all 13kv from a bucket.

First, deadending live wire with a jackstrap (small block and tackle) or hoist, must you isolate the hoist or jack from the pole or crossarm? (say..., if you are using a sling?)

Second, handling wire in a jib, with rubber? Without rubber?

Third, setting a live phase, covered (with rubber snakes) directly on the crossarm or top of the pole?

And the reason you are taught why? Thanks.

Maybe Im not following you....but lets start with your thoughts and WHY? Im seeing a big red flag,fill us in.

3. Default

Without giving too much info, we had an incident at our company and now the company is re-evaluating the way we do some of these things. Apparently we are behind a lot of other utilities in "best practices" in some areas related to this and I want to get a feel for other companies requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by psu927 View Post
    Without going into reasons why, or details at this moment, I wanted to see what you guys think (or were taught) is proper for handling live wire in a few different situations. This is all 13kv from a bucket.

First, deadending live wire with a jackstrap (small block and tackle) or hoist, must you isolate the hoist or jack from the pole or crossarm? (say..., if you are using a sling?)

Third, setting a live phase, covered (with rubber snakes) directly on the crossarm or top of the pole?

Any time dead ending live conductor you should be using a link stick or attaching your hoist to the insulator. Handling wire in the jib without rubber is fine as long as you have enough jib pinned out. We would never set a pole live with the arm on it, we would cover the phases and the pole then set the pole and hang arm after pole set.

5. Default

[QUOTE=lewy;142228]Any time dead ending live conductor you should be using a link stick or attaching your hoist to the insulator. Handling wire in the jib without rubber is fine as long as you have enough jib pinned out. We would never set a pole live with the arm on it, we would cover the phases and the pole then set the pole and hang arm after pole set.[/QUOTE

I just meant say, changing out an insulator (or any reason) untying a phase and covering it and setting it on top of the arm or pole.

Post Our standards

If moving wire in the jib we pin out sufficient length (2 holes) with the wire handler head on jib. Hose is not required but usually we have it slid up on both sides of jib head. I have seen conductor in line hose laid directly on crossarm by some of our contractors but we put a blanket down first then the wire in line hose. We use an insulator of some type with a strap hoist to pull up hot wire, usually a link stick but occasionally a bell already hung.
    Finally we do set poles already framed. We cover all conductors with about four lengths of hose including neutral. We let neutral float, and put phases in a "Christmas tree" on one buckets jib and it lifts wires up and out of way. We also have x-arm parallel to wire until at full depth in the hole then use cant hook to turn pole. Then second bucket moves wires out of "Christmas tree" and onto new pole.
    Hope this answers your questions.

We would have the recloser on the line or at the station set to one shot to do this work also.

[QUOTE=psu927;142232]
    Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    Any time dead ending live conductor you should be using a link stick or attaching your hoist to the insulator. Handling wire in the jib without rubber is fine as long as you have enough jib pinned out. We would never set a pole live with the arm on it, we would cover the phases and the pole then set the pole and hang arm after pole set.[/QUOTE

I just meant say, changing out an insulator (or any reason) untying a phase and covering it and setting it on top of the arm or pole.
    We never rest a covered phase on the arm or a screw driver, either hang it from a link stick or use an auxillary arm. Rubber is meant for brush contact.

9. Default

[QUOTE=lewy;142239]

We never rest a covered phase on the arm or a screw driver, either hang it from a link stick or use an auxillary arm. Rubber is meant for brush contact.

And this is why I am asking, seems to be some of these rules depend on the company.
    This is a common practice where I work and there has never been an issue. The current issue has more to do with the link stick between the hoist and the arm, and handling wire in a jib winch line. (I didn't specify jib winchline before)

Featured Sponsorr

I use a link stick between the hoist and the sling, have done it without but try to err on the side of caution, never wanted rubber in a phase moving head or tied up in a rope usually just slide a gut as needed as I move the phase, have and still will lay a gutted phase on a crossarm but usually lay a blanket over arm first and make sure the gut is upside down so there is no chance of it coming off of the phase, will still use a screwdriver when needed but will try to use a little short hot arm we made a few years ago, I used to work with a guy who would on a good dry day with a good dry crossarm wouldn't hesitate to lay a phase on the arm with no gut, he pinstriped many a crossarm which we still run into occaisionally on arm changeouts, but he is gone and so are those days and for the most part those work practices.