Default Anyone out there know how much the pole band give you protection on wood.

Featured Sponsor

Distribution, no problem is you have 6 to 10 feet between secondary and neutral zone to primary zone.

but in transmission you have a lot of length between under build and the area of stacks for sub T and transmission. Let's say you do everything properly. And you have your pole band way below and something happened what would be the cutoff point isn't the same potential as the wire? Is there a distance, voltage and current formula where that thing wouldn't work? Would that pole band work better on certain type of poles that are more conductive? They sell that thing as a lifesaver. But are there scenarios where it wouldn't work? Any chance hub bell guy who could answer that? Or someone who has the literature or outcomes?

this is supposedly true. A crew was changing out stacks. The single phase bucked position on the arm and they had the same glass and everything and the neutral didn't tap to ground at that structure. Instead of going to ground via neutral. They put the pole band tapped to hot and tapped the overbuild to hot. Did what they had to do and nothing happened. I guess they had no other grounds on the circuit. So that thing works if that story is true. But they are lucky they didn't ground it anywhere else!

also what the cannucks did before that pole band, by clamping to the bolt with that big clamp and big washer, you would get more pressure of a bolt and the bolt would have surface inside the structure, would that be better than the chain with ground parking stand? I know it would be some issue of surface and tightness.

If you didn't have that band which happens a lot. Could you drill a hole with big curved 4 inch washers both sides as a replacement to a pole band?

Grounding to a bolted hubbard is approved by Hydro One, and they test the snot out of everything! I haven't seen any test data on a pole bracket anywhere.

I prefer the Hubbard clamp, but we have to use the band, but Hydro One and a few other utilities use the clamp, you just have to get your head engineer to sign off on it. We are told that the band can't be more than 8' below your feet which for us is no problem when working on a single cct horizontally framed, but when we start getting in to double circuits or more we have to use the band and bond it to a phase closer to our work area because with our framing we would be more than 8' from the neutral clamp.

Default So 8' of wood structure they consider that the safe zone?

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I prefer the Hubbard clamp, but we have to use the band, but Hydro One and a few other utilities use the clamp, you just have to get your head engineer to sign off on it. We are told that the band can't be more than 8' below your feet which for us is no problem when working on a single cct horizontally framed, but when we start getting in to double circuits or more we have to use the band and bond it to a phase closer to our work area because with our framing we would be more than 8' from the neutral clamp.
    Let's say, 12 foot spacing between phases, 36 total feet. For every 8 feet you need a pole band? Wouldn't it be easier for not having so many pole bands put a DA smack dab in the middle as your bonding bracket. Go ground, pole band, bottom phase, to DA, to middle phase, to DA, to top phase, and whatever rule you have for static, (isolated, grounded. . .) leave it there for future need. Shine it up for next time and do the same thing. Am I on to something engineers. It would be clean for climbing and then the contractor and utility knows what lengths of grounds they would have. Climbing around that pole band would suck. Leave two inches on each side of the DA. Ha...ha...ha anyone out there. I will silver tin the bolts and washers myself! Give me a drill, torch, five million gallons of silver tin 80 million DAs and I will start in Maine and go to California, and then from British Columbia to Nova Scotia. I can't leave out the Cannucks.
    Last edited by bobbo; 05-02-2014 at 10:30 AM.

For us typically the most we would ever have is 4 circuits on a pole which would use 36' of pole from the neutral. Depending on wether you are climbing through or using a bucket would determine wether we needed 1 or 2 pole bands. If climbing we would need 1 about 10' from the neutral and the next 1 around 15' higher, but if out of the bucket depending on where we are working we mite be able to get away with 1 and just bond the pole from a phase at the point of work.

Default 230 circuit and 115 circuits

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    For us typically the most we would ever have is 4 circuits on a pole which would use 36' of pole from the neutral. Depending on wether you are climbing through or using a bucket would determine wether we needed 1 or 2 pole bands. If climbing we would need 1 about 10' from the neutral and the next 1 around 15' higher, but if out of the bucket depending on where we are working we mite be able to get away with 1 and just bond the pole from a phase at the point of work.
    I am not talkin distribution. Put a 1 in bolt and 4 or 6 inch reinforced square washer and crank it to 150 torque in between each phase on wood H frame. Bond to that bolt and phase when you are on your hooks. Instead of trying to tie 3 pole bands to do all the work on the pole. One guy has to go to the top to rig the wire to change insulators and another guy below. So instead of using heavy ass ground and clamping those pole bands all over just put a bolt in between the phases thus the structure is the same potential as the wire, without super long grounds going from wire to wire. Just like when you ground steel, you just need short grounds. And if you have overbuild transmission above distribution vertical, you can do the same thing. You can work the whole and just potential bond to the bolts and wire. Without moving a pole band everywhere. A bolt with big washers will have mor surface and tightness than a pole band, a better connection like that Hubbard clamp.

Hubbard clamp for you guys out west is a clamp that they use for the neutral in the northeast and canada. It's like a messenger clamp for Hendrix cable, 15 kv insulated that they bundle together with a messenger on top and supports every 15 to 20 feet.