Default Trying to get my foot in the door....

Featured Sponsor

Hello all, I am new to the forum. I am just looking for some advice that will help get me signed up as an apprentice. I'm in Ontario, have already taken an electrical engineering technician course, have my first AID, and will have my DZ licence in a few weeks. Prior work exp includes commercial electrician app. and crane truck (swamper) experience. So I was wondering if there are any other tickets or courses I should take that would make my resume look better. I was thinking fall arrest and maybe bucket rescue if there is such a course. If there are any other tickets or courses that would be beneficial to me I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Ryan_J; 05-22-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: wrong forum

Everything you have done is good, and the courses you suggest are available. Where in Ontario are you? Send me a PM , I might be able to help you out.

Default Sound like a good person.

I wish the best and keep trying and don't give up! I wasn't a ba's son or a nephew of someone. I went to the hall every chance I got and wanted an opportunity. Before this trade I was a soldier. When I am with a good group it's the greatest experience of teamwork you can ever have. When there are dic hds, the days are really long and a lot of frustration. If dic hds are in management they recruit other dic hds to be foreman and they are like ants on sugar. The greatest asset in this trade is the willingness to learn and spot dic hds. That's my advice and has worked well!

If you're willing to go to Alberta I'm sure it's relatively easy to get on with contractors like Valard or MacGregor. If your goal is to stay in Ontario and get an apprenticeship then there are a couple guys on here (like rob8210 or lewy) who will probably have some advice for you.

Featured Sponsorr

I was actually in Alberta for 8 months this past fall/winter. I applied to Mcgregor, Fortis Alberta, Sommerville, ATCO, CANA ect.. Never heard back from any companies except McGregor who told me to get my First Aid and CSTS and call back. Had them both in 2 weeks but they would not return my calls. I have also tried quite a few companies in Sask. with no luck. I contacted K-Line in Saskatchewan and was told one of the biggest considerations if you got an interview or not was if you had you CDL. I do my DZ road test June 17th so I hope it will help me out.