Question Getting ready to start line school in September. a few questions about apprenticeship

Featured Sponsor

Hey there, I am from Central PA but currently in tech school in West Virginia taking the network cabling trade. I have the telecommunications and copper based systems certifications under my belt, and am currently working on my fiber optics certification. I will be going on to a 15 week line school in September and was wondering, will line school be enough to land me an apprenticeship through my local union back in PA? No idea if this would give me a leg up or not so just thought I'd come to the straight source to get a better idea. Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated. (looking into the NEAT apprenticeship)
    Last edited by sgm8907; 06-21-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgm8907 View Post
    Hey there, I am from Central PA but currently in tech school in West Virginia taking the network cabling trade. I have the telecommunications and copper based systems certifications under my belt, and am currently working on my fiber optics certification. I will be going on to a 15 week line school in September and was wondering, will line school be enough to land me an apprenticeship through my local union back in PA? No idea if this would give me a leg up or not so just thought I'd come to the straight source to get a better idea. Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated. (looking into the NEAT apprenticeship)
    I don't think those Line Schools give anybody a leg up.
    You say you're from Central PA. Are you a Tele-Data guy? Do you already have a ticket? Are you working for Henkels? If you're getting your Fiber Optic Certification, maybe you can just get into (if not already) Local 126 or 1319.
    As far as a leg up to get into NEAT, go get your CDL A License and don't go into the interview not knowing what you are getting into. I other words, simple question, 'do you know what a Lineman does?' I can't believe some of the stupidest answers. Study and know about the **** trade! It seems all these young guys want to get in the trade for one reason, $$$$.

Featured Sponsorr

Not a tele-data guy, don't have a ticket, & I'm not working for Henkels...although that would be the first place I'd apply because I do have a pretty good connection within the company.

Well the line school I'll be going to will guarantee me at least my CDL A permit, is that enough to at least start the apprenticeship? & I have done my homework and have pretty solid idea of what the trade consists of, I do also know a few people that do linework so I understand how challenging it can be. But I have my heart set on being a lineman before anything & I wanna use this training to be ready to step into the interview and impress the boots off of em. Kinda am just using the telecom, copper, & fiber as a backup incase linework for some reason doesn't work out.