1. Wink Advice on study material

Featured Sponsor

Im starting to prep for possible lineman openings at Seattle City Light. There will be a written Exam composed of the following
    1) High School Algebra
    2) Tool Recognition
    3) Mechanical Reasoning

I was hoping you might be able to recommend possible websites, books, etc That will help me be as prepared as possible for the exam. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Future Lineman

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestLineman View Post
    Im starting to prep for possible lineman openings at Seattle City Light. There will be a written Exam composed of the following
    1) High School Algebra
    2) Tool Recognition
    3) Mechanical Reasoning

I was hoping you might be able to recommend possible websites, books, etc That will help me be as prepared as possible for the exam. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Future Lineman
    If you graduated High School you should have done the math. There is more geometry involved as you need to figure out triangles using Pythagorean Theorem to understand voltages.

As far as tools are concerned look at the Hastings catalog on the top of this page. There is loads of tools in there. You can look for Simpson and Greeley metering also to see volt and amp meters also. Check out S&C's site there are switches, reclosers, fuses etc. in there.

Mechanical reasoning for example is knowing the mechanical advantage there is in a set of blocks depending where the fall line is and how many sheaves in the set like 2, 4, 6 etc. Stuff like that.

Good luck.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply! Im 30 now, so highschool math was awhile ago. Did a bit in college, but that was still quite awhile ago as well lol. Found a really really cool site that is great for relearning/brushing up on math https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra

Algerbra I covers:
    - Liner Equations
    - Graphing&Analyzing linear functions
    - System of equations and inequalities
    - Multiplying and factoring Expressions
    - Quadratic Equations
    - Exponent Expressions and Equations
    - Functions
    - Ratio and Proportions

Lot of stuff there, which is fine, but I assume most of what I need to know is only in a few of those categories.

Thanks for the guidance on familiarizing myself with the tools, I will check out that link for sure!

Back to homework...... lol

4. Default

Is this at all similar to the actual exam?

http://www.seattle.gov/util/groups/p.../01_014505.pdf

5. Default

Try to get in touch with anyone who has taken the test recently, and get info from those folks.

6. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestLineman View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Im 30 now, so highschool math was awhile ago. Did a bit in college, but that was still quite awhile ago as well lol. Found a really really cool site that is great for relearning/brushing up on math https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra

Algerbra I covers:
    - Liner Equations
    - Graphing&Analyzing linear functions
    - System of equations and inequalities
    - Multiplying and factoring Expressions
    - Quadratic Equations
    - Exponent Expressions and Equations
    - Functions
    - Ratio and Proportions

Lot of stuff there, which is fine, but I assume most of what I need to know is only in a few of those categories.

Thanks for the guidance on familiarizing myself with the tools, I will check out that link for sure!

Back to homework...... lol
    The kahn academy is outstanding. I use it to help my daughter with her homework. Math or chemistry, they have lessons on everything.