Default South Texas Electric Cooperative

Featured Sponsor

Here is what I know coming from them...
    Non union, DOL approved apprenticeship, pay is $18.26/hr, employee health coverage at no cost, retirement benefit package, PTO, they provide tools, uniforms boots etc.. They do maintenance and construction of overhead transmission and substations, and "do not do any distribution work, "ever.""

Any comments?
    Aim small, miss small!!

-The Patriot

It would suck to miss all distribution work for an entire apprenticeship. Imo dist work is where you learn the nuts and bolts of the trade.

I have been having similar thoughts. I mean I won't know for sure what kind of lineman I want to be until I truly experience it, but as of now I'm thinking I would really enjoy transmission. I graduated NLC last November.
    Aim small, miss small!!

-The Patriot

I think most places train you in tranny and dist. My last employer would have app lineman in tranny but they would do most of their time learning dist. They would do hurt man rescue on the towers and climb alot higher than regular apprentices.

Have you worked the trade since NLC? Its Summer so work has picked up and there's alot going on right now. I would jump on anything and when something better comes along, go for that. Have you checked out MSLCAT, SWLCAT or SELCAT? Xcel seems to be hiring alot right now too.

I have not worked in the trade yet. I'm currently working for a company on the construction side for cell phone towers. No, I have not looked into those. Only thing is I only have my class A permit; which, I know is holding me back.

Actually I lied. I did look into mslcat. I would rather get on with a utility so I don't have to move around so much ya know?
    Last edited by Redneck-Moto927; 07-08-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Aim small, miss small!!

-The Patriot

I don't blame you, utilities are cake work and take good care of you, for the most part. LADWP and SoCal Edison are hiring a lot. But get your foot in the door anywhere you can. Have the company pay for you to get a Class A and youll get real experience.

7. Default

Featured Sponsorr

I would say to get in anywhere. You want to get paid, to get benefits, and to get a retirement package. If you get there by doing transmission for the next 45 years and are well-compensated for it, who cares?