1. Default probation, be careful

Featured Sponsor

I am an outside observer in a big utility apprentice school. I will stay with the guys for 3 months until they get done. Although I am probably 20 years older than the oldest apprentice, we get along great and I am enjoying the experience.

On Friday, we were in the pole field and a couple of guys I had never seen came over to the fence to talk to the instructor. I didn't think much of it, lots of guys come over and watch the guys climbing. A short time later, we were all on the ground and one of the apprentices comes up to me and says he just got fired. Says, his father died and he took an extra day off thinking he could use a vacation day to supplement his bereavement (2 days) and he got fired for this. I felt bad for this guy, this was a guy I would have wanted on my crew out of the whole bunch. Hard worker, can do attitude.

Moral of the story, please know the employment rules while you are on probation so you don't get fired for something stupid. I later heard, the union doesn't cover these guys while they are on probation.