Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Best jobsite pranks you have seen?

Featured Sponsor

C'mon old timers, let us know .

umm I ONCE SAW a feller stck his hands in hls rubber gloves and when he pulled em out they were orange sumbody had poured merthiolade from the firstaid kit innem.

Pranks have no place on the jobsite now a days, you may even get fired or hurt someone playing around. With that said . . . . . .when you got into the cab of the line truck you better take a good look at the shift knob. . .sometimes it was gobbed in grease.

Or I had a lineman that would ask for a hack saw on the line. I'd send it up to him on the hook, he'd use it and send it back down tied in two half hitches on the blade. . . . .it took me a few seconds to figure out how he did that so fast without taking the saw apart all the while he was asking for something else and tugging at the line.(creep)

We had a guy who wasn't a good climber and really hater tall poles. He turned in a fuse down on a tall stick maybe a 65 footer and said the pole was the scabbiest on the system. Most of his poles were like that to him. . . well we went to take a look and it was a real nice cedar pole with a 25 KVA up above the tree near it. I went up replaced the fuse and then the thought came to me. . .I got a magic marker sent up and in big letters wrote "Mikie this ones for you" on the bottom of the tank. We'd go by there and point it out when he was with us.

Default Told before BUT

Let me set the scene for you guys..... I was working for the National Grid , back in the 90,s...
    We got a contract to do in Northern Ireland .... At the time it was a very volatile place... Bombing almost daily... Shootings. Etc.. We got the job of installing fibre optic .. ( earth wire wrapping on towers) . It was for around 6 months work.... And very good money.

So we went over and got stuck in to the job...

Almost every day we got stopped by check points , mostly British army... But occasionally IRA. check points... So it was pretty intimadating....

OK ! One of our crew " BIG BOB ". And he was a big man... 6'6" and built like a tank...
    He was very " English " He had ( and still has , he's still a great friend.. We talk on face book regularly and meet up when I'm down his neck of the woods ) a lot of tattoos ... The union jack , british bull dog etc...... He was also in the teratorial army.. ( kinda reserves ).

The British army checkpoints were usually man,d by young guys " very nervous " ...... They used to check I.D. Etc...

Well Bob met a Catholic girl while we were working up there... She lived over the boarder in southern Ireland ...
    We were working 7 days a week... Sooooooo this is what happened one Sunday morning.

We were having breakfast in the hotel..and Bob turned up in the clothes he went out in Sat night.
    He arrived back at the hotel by taxi... Quite drunk and obviously had been up all night with the Irish girl...

I was in charge so suggested to the guys... " let him have breakfast and a shower an follow us out a bit latter...". Myself and Nick would go out to site in the landrover and make a start.. And the others could follow us out in the other van ( with Bob ) .

On the way out to site we got stopped by a checkpoint .... But these guys were older , hardend, professionals.... ( most likely , special forces ) ... Nick was from London and had a distinct accent. The army guy was obviously from London as well...
    They got chatting. And me and Nick had a GREAT IDEA ( mainly me )
    We said to the soldier...that there would be a national grid van along a bit latter with a guy " BOB" and he wouldn't be feeling very well.. We gave the soldier a disciption and also told him all about the Irish girl, what hotel we were in and where Bob was from... We laughed and drove away.

In Northern Ireland we had radios But we had to use false names ( handles ) because they were often moniterd ( by both sides ) ..... About two hours after we were on site the radio screamed into life " BREN RUN " .... We didn't know if we were about to get shot at, bombed or what... And because they used my proper name.. We knew it was serious ....

Me and Nick started running for the trees....

When we looked back... BOB was running after us.... " he wasn't happy to say the least"
    If he had caught either of us he would have ripped us apart....

Apparently when they got to the checkpoint .. He was asleep in the passenger seat.. They were asked for I.D. Except for Bob..

.. The soldier says to him...
    " your BIG BOB aren't you ? " Your the guy that's going out with the catholic girl from over the boarder.... BOB Was shocked ! He thought that they had been watching him ... ( surveillance )
    They took him from the van ( dragged ) Got him to lie spread eagle on the wet ground..hands behind his head... With the barrel of a rifle pressed hard against the back of his neck... They searched him " thoroughly " three times. Including takinig his shoes and socks off...... They knew what hotel he was staying in his age... Everything about him......

After the third search and about 20 minutes... The soldier said to a very shocked ( and hung over)
    Bob.... THIS SEARCH WAS COURTESY OF BREN AN NICK....they said you,d be along..
    BOB WENT MENTAL... Grabbed the soldier by the throat...only to be met by the sounds of cocking machine guns... And the squaddies laughing.... A very angry Bob turned up on site...looking for me and Nick....
    We had to move hotels for a couple of days to avoid Bob.... Who eventually calmed down and even saw the funny side....
    We just caught him on the right day...with the right soldiers...

LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER...
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Default Still funny

Long story but it ended with me installing a " banana fuse " to put a smile on a certain Pootnalgle from this site it was "installed " on the island of Jura ...(a wee island off the western islands of Scotland .)

still makes me laugh....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    umm I ONCE SAW a feller stck his hands in hls rubber gloves and when he pulled em out they were orange sumbody had poured merthiolade from the firstaid kit innem.
    Back in the day pranks were common,I wouldnt pull some of them these days cause people are too sensitive and it might cost you your job ...but I seen one kind of like Poots....we had one guy that was kind of against blacks.well one morning another lineman put some black shoe polish in his work gloves.I watched this as it happened.Well he put them on and the other lineman said to him (how does it feel to be black) as he took his hands out of the glove ....he was upset and wanted to know who did it to him.....well even though I didnt do it ,I got the blame....so in a way the prank was on me

Default I was working with a good older dude ready to retire.

We had a place next to the yard his room was next to mine. I was really bored and he took a ritual shower after work. Called the biggest blackest transvestite for a date. When the thing came at the door and knocked and he answered. I was crying. He She was ugly overweight and had the lowest octave voice. When he answered the door he was in shock, he was scared. The He chick was a foot taller. Told her she he had the wrong room. But his eyes and hesitancy in his voice was priceless.

Default electric fence

We were on a job that had an electric fence right next to the road. One of them weed burner fences that deliver a good hard shot if you touch it. My buddy Mark was in the passenger seat and I was driving. I pulled up with the fence on my side and shut the truck off. We sat waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive. I had already popped my door open. As soon as Mark opened his door and put his foot on the ground I touched the fence with my door. It knocked the crap out of him. He got out and was talking frantically to me about what just happened totally confused as to how he got shocked... I had pulled my door back off of the fence so now, the truck wasn't hot anymore... he did a little investigating and figured out that it wasn't the truck. I was as innocent as they come wondering with him what just happened. I even asked him if he was sure he got shocked?. I waited for him to touch the truck again and did it again. bam! I got him again! By then I couldn't hold a straight face anymore. He was kinda pissed for a couple of hours...

Timing is everything.

bd

In the old days there was a steel coil thin plastic covered thing called a cool cushion that was between the seat of a vehicle and your backside that allowed air to circulate to keep it dry. Ran a small wire from the ignition coil to the spring in the cool cushion. Then when someone touched the key and turned it the screaming commenced.

One time while sagging off a tower.230 kv parallel circuit corridor, I couldn't set the transit to the bottom phase. My coworker picked me off the tower with a double bucket. I set the transit up. Without thinking about being in a insulated bucket, I stuck my eye up to the lens and zap. I said F**k loudly and my buddy says ,what's wrong! i said something got in my eye. I told him he would have to eyeball it. The DS moved himself into position and I watched him do the same thing. I laughed my butt off and thanked God it was a double bucket.

Some used to fill up the fingers of leather gloves with Cul-Ade grease.

styrofoam cups with cold water balanced on the drivers side sun visor. Hit the first bump and cold crotch.

A monkey swinging from phase to phase wasn't fast enough to do the bird on one wire act, and he wound up resting on the seat of a truck all cuddled up under a blanket.

Old A frame line trucks had under the seat heater coils in the man cab, and some times urine would find it's way onto them and when the coil heated up so did the tempers.

When I was a grunt I had an old timer that used to spit chew at me. I found an old toad and snuck it into his lunch box. By lunch time the toad must have been full of water cause he pissed all over his sandwiches and the man was pissed as well. Never spit at me again.

Default Bren

Featured Sponsorr

In the pic is that steel tie wire. Had a lot around here they used during the WW11. Also a lot of solid #2 steel wire for conductor. Is a mother to hotstick.