Default What climbing gear do you use?

Featured Sponsor

Thought I would start this thread for anyone new in the trade that have questions about which belt to buy, what hooks to climb in and what boots to wear. There's a ton of options from bashlin off set with a twist hooks to buckingham straights. Velcro cinch pads to the old leathers. Super squeeze to double safetys.

So what does your climbing gear consist of? What do you like and what don't you like?

My climbing boots are La Sportiva, they are an Italian made ice climbing boot, very popular in socal. They are water proof, very light and great for both on the pole and under ground. They are a little over $300. My belt is the all black buckingham 2000m, I like it because I didn't have to break it in, but they do wear out fast. I would prefer a Bashlin, but they take too long to break in. My hooks are buckingham straights aka widow makers with leather pads. They make you cut out alot, but it forces you to have better form and to keep your angle. Im looking to buy Bashlin off sets with the velco cinch pads, the red ones. I use two double safetys. Its easy to climb riser poles and pass ladder arms.

I climb with a Buchingham Drilex 4D belt, not sure of the model. lol. Wesco highliners, Bashlin aluminum hooks, Buck pads. I'v e climbed in steel hooks before, titanium hooks, but I still prefer my aluminum hooks. Super squeeze with the web strap and a buck adjuster secondary lanyard. And about 4 break away hooks for nuts, washers, and money clips. lol

3. Default

I used Buckingham titanium offset gafs with big buck pads for climbing school. No complaints. Of course they're the only set I've ever used. I only bad to sharpen them once or twice in 6 weeks of daily climbing. I found the big buck pads slowed me down some in the timed events as they were harder to get on compared to other velcro pads. They were very comfortable though.

I bought Redwing 9" boots and can honestly say I hate them. The thick leather tongue folds onto itself where it bends from my ankle to the top of my foot. It bruised the living $ hit out of the top of my foot and was very painful.

For a belt, I used a Buckingham 2107M leather stacked D belt with a gut strap and lower strap. The lower strap I found to do nothing but limit mobility and again slow me down in the timed events having to do up a second buckle. The height of the belt also makes it cumbersome and difficult to cram into my gear bag. If I had it to do over, I would have definitely bought a different belt. The new Bashlin easy rider looks appealing.

We used a bucksqueeze throughout school, but I bought a supersqueeze and will never go back. The adjustment is hella easier.
    Last edited by Formula89; 07-27-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Formula89 View Post
    I used Buckingham titanium offset gafs with big buck pads for climbing school. No complaints. Of course they're the only set I've ever used. I only bad to sharpen them once or twice in 6 weeks of daily climbing. I found the big buck pads slowed me down some in the timed events as they were harder to get on compared to other velcro pads. They were very comfortable though.

I bought Redwing 9" boots and can honestly say I hate them. The thick leather tongue folds onto itself where it bends from my ankle to the top of my foot. It bruised the living $ hit out of the top of my foot and was very painful.

For a belt, I used a Buckingham 2107M leather stacked D belt with a gut strap and lower strap. The lower strap I found to do nothing but limit mobility and again slow me down in the timed events having to do up a second buckle. The height of the belt also makes it cumbersome and difficult to cram into my gear bag. If I had it to do over, I would have definitely bought a different belt. The new Bashlin easy rider looks appealing.

We used a bucksqueeze throughout school, but I bought a supersqueeze and will never go back. The adjustment is hella easier.
    You sound like how I was when I had a bad pair of boots. Nothing worse than bad boots on a pole! Watch out or you will get nerve damage.

That's why I LOVE my Wescos. Close to no break in time, they're comfortable, and I've never got a blister from them. One thing I did was treat them with saddle soap. My boots are more comfortable than my regular shoes.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Formula89 View Post

My buddy and I went to climbing school, he went 6 months ago, I'm in now. He bought the redwings and I bought carolinas. My carolinas are backordered so he gave me his redwings (he was done and they were not worn much). The redwings blow. No wonder he gave them to me. The tongue does suck. The laces are like crappy string and the speed lace things at the top are too small and putting the boots on is a hassle. I see lots of guys with these boots and have no idea why.

7. Default

Featured Sponsorr

With the total fall prevention rules, you really are better off with a 4 d ring belt what ever you get.