Thread: Ibew 47

Hybrid View

1. Default Ibew 47

I am not in the line business. I am asking this question in regards to my husband.

I work for SDG&E, I have been here almost 12 years. I have tried like HELL to get him in here as a laborer and NOTHING, so we've kind of given up on that prospect. My husband was given a temporary opportunity to work with PAR during the whole sunrise power-link project. His cousin was married to some psycho ahole foreman at PAR. They told him to join the union 47, they interviewed him, then basically pulled his name from the book. He ended up being there for 18 months or so. Work dried up and his whole crew got sat. My husband was not called back to work...kind of had a fallout with his boss since he divorced the cousin (long story) but to be honest, it was not a good environment and I am glad he doesn't work there. So long story short, my husband left the business and went back to what he was doing prior .He now wants to try his hand again at the whole utility business so he went up to Local 47 to get on the books. They told him that they have his information but someone dropped the ball and he is not a union member, yet they were taking union dues out while he worked at PAR. Local 47 told him, he could still sign the book...he is not sure what book they had him sign but he thinks book 1. They told him he cannot join the union until he gets pulled off the book. Does this sound right? Can he try to recoup the $ that was being taken out of his check as "union dues"?

Should he just give up? He is kind of worried he will not get called off the groundsman book because he doesn't have a Class A. He would like to get one, but he is not working right now and it is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelylisa84 View Post
    I am not in the line business. I am asking this question in regards to my husband.

I work for SDG&E, I have been here almost 12 years. I have tried like HELL to get him in here as a laborer and NOTHING, so we've kind of given up on that prospect. My husband was given a temporary opportunity to work with PAR during the whole sunrise power-link project. His cousin was married to some psycho ahole foreman at PAR. They told him to join the union 47, they interviewed him, then basically pulled his name from the book. He ended up being there for 18 months or so. Work dried up and his whole crew got sat. My husband was not called back to work...kind of had a fallout with his boss since he divorced the cousin (long story) but to be honest, it was not a good environment and I am glad he doesn't work there. So long story short, my husband left the business and went back to what he was doing prior .He now wants to try his hand again at the whole utility business so he went up to Local 47 to get on the books. They told him that they have his information but someone dropped the ball and he is not a union member, yet they were taking union dues out while he worked at PAR. Local 47 told him, he could still sign the book...he is not sure what book they had him sign but he thinks book 1. They told him he cannot join the union until he gets pulled off the book. Does this sound right? Can he try to recoup the $ that was being taken out of his check as "union dues"?

Should he just give up? He is kind of worried he will not get called off the groundsman book because he doesn't have a Class A. He would like to get one, but he is not working right now and it is expensive.
    No, he wont get called at all without a Class A. He also needs OSHA 10, tanker truck endorements. He signed book 3. SoCal Edison is hiring a bunch of guys. There are a ton of appreticeships all over the country, SoCal is especially hard to find work as its competitive as hell, 47 is very hard to get into. Keep applying at sdge.I have a question without sounding rude. Why isn't your husband on here asking these questions?
    Last edited by ozzy; 07-31-2014 at 08:58 AM.