Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice for new apprentice?

Featured Sponsor

After a long road trying to get in the door, I'm starting my apprenticeship in a few weeks. Any advice?

Default Keep your ears and eyes open!

If a journeyman can't answer a question, he doesn't know. If you get mistreated by anyone in the trade, he is the one with self esteem issues. Just keep trucking along. This job is all about confidence and overcoming fear. With experience you eliminate you chisel the fear. Don't get involved in the politics. Don't speak bad about anyone. It will haunt you in the long run. Just focus on the right of way and doing your job. There is a lot of flawed personalities out there, reading people and navigating through all of the linemans personalities is walking on eggshells. Just shut up and do your job. Keep your truck and tools squared away. Don't reveal yourself too much until there is a trust and bond there. Once you find true friends they will take care of you for the rest of your life!

Default Yes !

What Bobbo Said !!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Thanks, that is great advice. I will bear it in mind.

People are dying in this industry today the same way they did 50 years ago and more. The safety rules are there to protect YOU. Follow them or look for another trade.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Blog Entries

Show up on time. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Show up on time. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.
    By on time he means have the grunt sacks empty and the water made on the truck and be ready to roll out of the yard at starting time. Seriously as others have said pay attention and put all you have into it, have respect for the old guys and they will teach you the RIGHT way to do things in a trade that will feed your family for years to come. Good luck, Charlie.

So I guess my next question is: What's a grunt sack?

And no, not that .

Quote Originally Posted by diver View Post
    So I guess my next question is: What's a grunt sack?

And no, not that .
    It's that round canvas bag with a rope handle with a snap in the middle, usually found hanging on the back of every bucket truck that you see, it has many uses, such as sending up smaller material and tools up the handline to the lineman and alot of crews put the days trash off the job in them, therefore they have to be emptied out daily.

Featured Sponsorr

My old Foreman "Slim" said "You have two eyes, two ears, and one mouth, use them accordingly"