Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Getting settled

Featured Sponsor

Still getting settled here but starting to get a handle on things. Thanks for the good wishes and comments. Last week end I went to the Dominican Republic to buy some supplies. I also looked at a few boats. I put money down on a 37' Alberg Sloop.... I think I will enjoy this place. It needs some work but it's a good boat. Later all! RWD

Default Lots going on....

It's been a lot of hours and little sleep getting on board here in Haiti. The crews are good but need seasoning. One minute I am amazed at the things they know and the next minute they do something that shows they still have a long way to go. Rigging and tool care are an issue. I've got to teach splices and knots as well as how to clean, wax and store hot sticks.
    Bucket work is another issue. Three buckets that range from an old Pitman Pelican, a Terex with no outriggers and an Altec with a material handler. None have harnesses or rescue gear. I've got it on order at this point but the show must go on.
    What we have here is an experiment. Two villages we electrified that have meters and pay thier bills... About 500 customers.. And three towns we recently took over from the national power company. There were a few meters installed and the rest of the "customers" hooked up using pieces and parts of #12 copper. One wire to a hot leg and another to a ground rod (read rebar) for a neutral. Some of the services a over 1000' of #12 serving 40 to 70 clients. Our task.... To normalize the customer base by expanding the secondary grid where possible, and installing meters. We estimate about 7000 customers that require meters and service drops. This is going to be a fun challenge to do while training them to actually pay for electricity.... Wish me luck!

rwd

3. Default

"You're a better man than I Gunga Din." Best of Luck Bob.
    Stay Safe man.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

hey give me a wave im in Jamaica we,re next door to each other
    I know where your coming from regarding bucket trucks its the same here and don't get me started on the state of the network

hope you got your shots before you left
    engineers aren,t god,s

Default Good to hear...

Featured Sponsorr

Neil, I've worked in a lot worse places over the years. This is a joy compared to South Sudan or Pakistan. I don't think there are any more shots they can give me at this point. We are rebuilding the systems to US standard RUS design. 23Kv Wye with a running neutral. Pouring rain and storms of the last few days have not caused any outages.... Knock on wood... Flooding is an issue right now and the long range forecast is for heavy rain through the 12th of November.... then one semi dry day and then another day of rain. I can only hope the forecast is wrong. This morning the rain cut the earth away from a newly installed pole with a primary metering bank that was installed next to a ditch. In a few minutes I'll go out and drop an anchor to guy the pole until this rain goes away and we can build an abutment. Come visit Caracol! I hope to have my sailboat here in a month or so. 37' Alberg Sloop, currently moored in Luperon for up-fitting. I'll post photo's when its here.