Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do Nothings

1. Default Do Nothings

Featured Sponsor

What is the function of do nothings?

I noticed them on either side of most of the splices I've seen on aluminum primary. I thought they were hot line clamps but my lineman explained they were do nothings; basically hot line clamps with nowhere to put tap wire. He told me they go on either side of a splice but wasn't sure what the function was.

If someone here knows and would be willing to share what they are for and what the proper name may be, if that's not it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Default what color was your do-nothing

...I figure he's talking about the hard plastic couplings on the splice itself....................if so ,its funny that he would call them do-nothings...................Is that what your talking about and what color was it?Do nothings do different things depending on the color

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    ...I figure he's talking about the hard plastic couplings on the splice itself....................if so ,its funny that he would call them do-nothings...................Is that what your talking about and what color was it?Do nothings do different things depending on the color
    Nope not part of the autosplice. I'm only a first step but my JL has taught me enough to know why there's different color plastic on the end of the splice and why some have 2 colors on each end. I'm talking about what looks just like a hot line clamp but is on each side of every primary splice on a stranded conductor that I've seen.

At first I thought they could've been hot line clamps someone couldn't get off and asked my JL. He said they were do-nothings and that he wasn't sure what they do. If it's just him trying to mess with me it'd be the first time he did that when I asked him a question about the trade.

He said they are basically a hot line clamp like what you'd put a piece of tap wire on then hook to the primary for a can or capacitor bank or what have you but without the place to hook a tap wire in.

He thought they might be there so that the strands of the conductor wouldn't have a tendency to unlay but he wasn't sure and neither was anyone he talked to.

To be fair I haven't looked for them outside the territory of the utility we're contracted to but they seem to be on either side of every primary splice in this particular utility's territory.

You got me rocket,no telling...........but someone knows and its not me....this is going to get interesting.........I just cant think of why they would be on each side of every primary splice.

Blog Entries

I've never seen such a thing........
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    I've never seen such a thing........
    Hey lbr....you know that thread about lineman needing no schooling or nothing,the one that sounds like lineman do nothing.Well maybe the guy that started that thread knows what a do-nothing is?

Default Not Sure

Not sure what you're referring to. Any chance you could post a picture for us?? I'd like to see what you are talking about. Might help
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default Mmmmmmm

Just an idea. " MAYBE". When they were doing the splices hot they used the " do nothing's " as a way to jumper iacross. So there was no load on the splice. ,

probably a mile out. But sure we don't DO HOT .
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Just an idea. " MAYBE". When they were doing the splices hot they used the " do nothing's " as a way to jumper iacross. So there was no load on the splice. ,

probably a mile out. But sure we don't DO HOT .
    Thats a good thought Bren,but why would they leave a do-nothing for nothing,gots to be a reason ....unless they think it keeps the splice from sliding down the wire.I would ask the oldest lineman there and he just might know or smile.Ive seen guys leave their mark in this trade and others. I kind of want to see a pic too,but I think this one would require more questions on the why ? of it .

Default Not

Featured Sponsorr

Well not if he's describing it right. He said there's no place to install a tap wire.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."