Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default If you need to know, a CSA mark on FR or boots?

Featured Sponsor

If you have a CSA mark on your FR or boots? It's not a Canadian mark but a mark for all North America. It exceeds all government standards in North America. Exceeds OSHA. If you buy with a CSA mark that meant the manufacturer wanted the best standard and rating for their gear and wanted to sell all North American markets. Just so you know. CSA boots are 20 kv dielectric with the ohm emblem. And the ground boots for 500kv and bare handing have little resistance. Info to put in your back pocket when all your company shirts are dirty and you wear your own gear. Yes fools look for tags nowadays. My gear says CSA not OSHA. CSA supersedes OSHA standards. Canada sets our standards pretty much and now that agency has a lot higher standards. Useless information you might need for later on.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    If you have a CSA mark on your FR or boots? It's not a Canadian mark but a mark for all North America. It exceeds all government standards in North America. Exceeds OSHA. If you buy with a CSA mark that meant the manufacturer wanted the best standard and rating for their gear and wanted to sell all North American markets. Just so you know. CSA boots are 20 kv dielectric with the ohm emblem. And the ground boots for 500kv and bare handing have little resistance. Info to put in your back pocket when all your company shirts are dirty and you wear your own gear. Yes fools look for tags nowadays. My gear says CSA not OSHA. CSA supersedes OSHA standards. Canada sets our standards pretty much and now that agency has a lot higher standards. Useless information you might need for later on.
    CSA does have a great little green triangle tag they want on safety boots and FR, but try buying gear with that tag in the USA.

Not to rain on your parade, but neither the Occupational Safety & Health Administration or the Canadian Safety Association set the standards. They both just follow the IEEE and ANSI standards. So the who is better debate really doesn't fly.

I really do agree with your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post
    CSA does have a great little green triangle tag they want on safety boots and FR, but try buying gear with that tag in the USA.

Not to rain on your parade, but neither the Occupational Safety & Health Administration or the Canadian Safety Association set the standards. They both just follow the IEEE and ANSI standards. So the who is better debate really doesn't fly.

I really do agree with your last sentence.
    Great post bobbo and good clarification Tramp. My only concern is I never took the KV rating of my boots seriously as say my gloves, sleeves, rubber goods mainly because I didn't walk all over Gods Creation in/on my PPE, so until the boots get regular tests for dielectric insulation value I'd be careful not to rest my future on "boots" even if there is a tag saying they meet some dielectric standard. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by T-Man; 12-19-2014 at 05:58 AM.

The CSA green patch boots are pretty good. The dielectric rating is obviously for new unused boots, not to be trusted, but can be a lifesaver. When they first came out a younger fella and I went to a boot store because he needed new boots. The salesman carried on about this new dielectric rating, but man did he get Po'd when I told the fella that that rating wasn't worth crap once you had mud on them , wet and dirty, and you couldn't even think about trusting it.

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post

I don't know about CSA but OSHA can and does set standards. While OSHA will generally follow industry consensus standards, if they don't feel those standards are adequate they can and will set their own. For example in the newly revised utility safety rules 1910.269 and 1926 Subpart V OSHA decided that the minimum approach distances in the IEEE standards (516 and NESC)were not adequate. OSHA thus decided to set their own standards for MAD. Expect to see NESC adopt the OSHA standards for MAD in the next, 2017, edition. Tail wagging the dog.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by wudwlkr View Post
    I don't know about CSA but OSHA can and does set standards. While OSHA will generally follow industry consensus standards, if they don't feel those standards are adequate they can and will set their own. For example in the newly revised utility safety rules 1910.269 and 1926 Subpart V OSHA decided that the minimum approach distances in the IEEE standards (516 and NESC)were not adequate. OSHA thus decided to set their own standards for MAD. Expect to see NESC adopt the OSHA standards for MAD in the next, 2017, edition. Tail wagging the dog.

Those are regulations (Laws) not standards.

Default I have CSA and OSHA tag 1910.269 or whAt it is.

Read CSA is a North American standard and exceeds US standards for safety wear. Just read what the CSA mark meant. And all the oil companies are buying Canadian gear because it's better quality. They come with the scotch brite so you don't have to wear that stupid hi vis vest that the companies give you. The Canadians manufacture all their vests FR. They are pricy. Buddy had a suit by an American manufacturer ripped apart in two weeks jacket and bibs were torn apart and he paid 500 for it. Rather pay more than have it fall apart. The Canadians make great cold weather gear, but the distributors are all in North Dakota or Minnesota. And if it has a CSA mark, it's fine to wear here. That's all I am saying.

Im with you T....I see no need to have Fr- boots.It would be hard to convince me as why.Unless I plan to walk across hot coals ,and I have no plans to do so.

Default CSA dielectric boots true story

Guy had a pair of rovacks, 15 years with holes. Primary hit him and nothing wrong. They filled the boots with bb s and checked the dielectrics. And the boots still had the same protection. Or that was told to me by many Canadians.

All US stuff is becoming jap crap. And the Canadians have great gear that's all.i trust their gear than I trust American gear. Well made and well constructed. The two companies from Michigan that manufacture FR are good. But they don't have reflection that's mandated by all the utilities and contractors. I love when they issue you your Harbor Freight vest that's more flammable than doll hair on a Barbie. (Lost my eyebrows burning my sisters dolls as a kid)

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    Guy had a pair of rovacks, 15 years with holes. Primary hit him and nothing wrong. They filled the boots with bb s and checked the dielectrics. And the boots still had the same protection. Or that was told to me by many Canadians.

All US stuff is becoming jap crap. And the Canadians have great gear that's all.i trust their gear than I trust American gear. Well made and well constructed. The two companies from Michigan that manufacture FR are good. But they don't have reflection that's mandated by all the utilities and contractors. I love when they issue you your Harbor Freight vest that's more flammable than doll hair on a Barbie. (Lost my eyebrows burning my sisters dolls as a kid)
    Can I ask how the primary hit the guy?....As far as dolls are concerned,I did the same thing.I burned my sisters doll....still had my eyebrows and all.....but the mattress burned too....so little reppy screamed for momma...That was back when all dolls were fat and ugly.....even before the string you could pull....everyone remembers the strings...right.