Default Using a Hydraulic gun on hot primary

Featured Sponsor

Does any one have any info on why we can't use a hydraulic gun to tighten up nuts on shoes that are energized?Ive done it all my career,i know it doesn't make it right but why and when the change?
    Birdog37: "Remember we're all on a journey in life, the only difference is, some people know it and some people don't."

Quote Originally Posted by birdog37 View Post
    Does any one have any info on why we can't use a hydraulic gun to tighten up nuts on shoes that are energized?Ive done it all my career,i know it doesn't make it right but why and when the change?
    Who says it's not be done? I like you mentioned have been doing it for going on 30 years.

Only trouble I have heard of is fellas that are not used to a hydraulic gun overtightening and breaking bolts. I have been using a hydraulic gun my whole career, you just have to make sure you use non-conductive hoses!

Can it be because of the hydraulic oil itself,in case a hose breaks?That happened years ago here with a contractor,they somehow built a fire and the oil caught on fire is what I was told.I even think it was the deaths that occurred because of the guys in the bucket had the static in the bucket and a phase of 34.5 got in contact with the bottom of the bucket.All I know was that it created a bad fire and killed both lineman,one was a young kid that lived down the street from me.I didnt know him well or anything,but my dad knew his parents and went to the kids funeral.The parents,actually hardly anyone knew what really took place...you now how that goes,they wouldnt really understand and I dont think it would have helped them one bit if they did.It was kept real quiet and wasnt talked about even between lots of lineman .

I wonder how much of an issue contaminated oil could pose. It could theoretically make it slightly conductive in the same way that transformer oil can absorb moisture over time.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Hydraulic guns

That's just it I've never had any troubles with using it on hot primary,definitely faster and I already have enough equipment in the bucket already!Any OSHA rules on this?Anyones Saftey rules apply to this?
    Birdog37: "Remember we're all on a journey in life, the only difference is, some people know it and some people don't."

Featured Sponsorr

Over torquing. Use a battery rattle gun then torque.