Threaded View

1. Default Current in CATV Coax

Every once in a while, I get sent out because a Cable TV technician will refuse to work on a residential cable drop due to him picking up current on it. Up until a week ago, every single one of these calls turned out to be B.S.

Last week I get one, and the Cable wire is burned up at the splitter on the side of the house. First I'm thinking lightning damage but I start looking into it and the home owner comes out and tries to "HELP ME". I'm kinda tuning the guy out when he says his lights get bright once in a while. I get my ladder on the side of his house, and open up the bugs where my service drop connects at the weather head. Sure enough, the neutral connection is loose and who ever did it, never cleaned the "green" copper oxide off of the wires. It looked like a recent service change.

So the neutral is either high impedance or non existent, the house is grounded poorly and all that unbalanced current between the two hots ended up in the shield of the cable wire looking for a return to ground.

I guess some cable guys got rapped as of late and they are putting a clamp on meter on stuff before they take it apart.