1. Default Working with an apprentice?

Featured Sponsor

If you find yourself working with an apprentice, do the right thing and don't teach the guy bad habits and shortcuts. Set a good example so the guy can have a safe, long career.

I have worked with an apprentice almost my whole career, and I enjoy it. Even when I was an apprentice there were times I worked with another apprentice. A fellas entire career is a learning experience, and passing on that knowledge. Sometimes you learn the wrong way and down the road you find out the right way, but everybody learns! I tell the apprentices that work with me , my ways are neither right or wrong , they just work for me. Now some work procedures have to be done in the proper sequence, such as taking out a work permit before applying grounds and removing grounds before surrendering a work permit. A good apprentice will have a head on his shoulders and be able to think about everything he is shown , and figure for himself the best way, as long as it is done safely.

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    I have worked with an apprentice almost my whole career, and I enjoy it. Even when I was an apprentice there were times I worked with another apprentice. A fellas entire career is a learning experience, and passing on that knowledge. Sometimes you learn the wrong way and down the road you find out the right way, but everybody learns! I tell the apprentices that work with me , my ways are neither right or wrong , they just work for me. Now some work procedures have to be done in the proper sequence, such as taking out a work permit before applying grounds and removing grounds before surrendering a work permit. A good apprentice will have a head on his shoulders and be able to think about everything he is shown , and figure for himself the best way, as long as it is done safely.
    Very well said Rob, I've been in the trade for over 4 decades, when I was coming up I had the good fortune of working with lineman who taught me the right way with a real emphasis on going home safe. I have always tried to pass along what was given to me. A lot of the new guys want to get on my crew, that is a satisfying and rewarding benefit to taking pride in passing along the knowledge gained over the years and tells me I may have done just a little bit right over the years....
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt