Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by So Cal Rooted View Post
    Sounds like you had a solid interview. I think you will be called within 2 years. If I were a betting man, I would say within 6 months to a year (maybe sooner). Just an insight, I interviewed last May and was ranked in the 400s. Since then my rank has moved down to 136. Not sure what it is now but it should update pretty soon. I would start saving and getting ready for travel. The Journeyman Lineman that trained me for my OSHA 10 advised that if I ranked under 100, I should get a prepaid visa card and throw a few gs on it before hand so I could stay ready for travel and costs. Congrats man! Now the hard part.... waiting for the call.
    A journeyman lineman from Cal-Nev recommended this? Wondering if I should start getting prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick26 View Post
    A journeyman lineman from Cal-Nev recommended this? Wondering if I should start getting prepared.
    Yah, he seems to know everyone at the Local 47 hall. When I went to sign the books he told me to tell one of the guys he whats up. They all knew him. He is one of the dudes in a documentary called Half Million Volt Worker (Youtube). Really cool dude. But that was a few years ago. Not sure if apeships are moving the same.

3. Default Thanks for the info man!

Sounds like you had a solid interview. I think you will be called within 2 years. If I were a betting man, I would say within 6 months to a year (maybe sooner). Just an insight, I interviewed last May and was ranked in the 400s. Since then my rank has moved down to 136. Not sure what it is now but it should update pretty soon. I would start saving and getting ready for travel. The Journeyman Lineman that trained me for my OSHA 10 advised that if I ranked under 100, I should get a prepaid visa card and throw a few gs on it before hand so I could stay ready for travel and costs. Congrats man! Now the hard part.... waiting for the call.
    okay, so 4 months~ 1 year wait.
    Might as work as a truck driver while waiting to save money and get some experience driving a big truck.

That means that I'll need to sacrifice heavy/weight lifting at the for the time being. I'll need to keep myself conditioned while trucking.

Thanks guys. Good luck to you guys also.

edit - oh btw, the lineman who taught you OSHA-10 EDTA, was his name, Thomas Slyter?

If so, I should've listened to him when he told our climbing class @ LATTC, "If you don't have a CDL A, you might as well as wipe your ass with your climbing cert. If you can't drive a trick, you are worthless."

I graduated from LATTC last September, so it took me 8 months...
    I should just listen to people lol
    Last edited by OverEasy; 05-24-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OverEasy View Post
    okay, so 4 months~ 1 year wait.
    Might as work as a truck driver while waiting to save money and get some experience driving a big truck.

That means that I'll need to sacrifice heavy/weight lifting at the for the time being. I'll need to keep myself conditioned while trucking.

Thanks guys. Good luck to you guys also.

edit - oh btw, the lineman who taught you OSHA-10 EDTA, was his name, Thomas Slyter?

If so, I should've listened to him when he told our climbing class @ LATTC, "If you don't have a CDL A, you might as well as wipe your ass with your climbing cert. If you can't drive a trick, you are worthless."

I graduated from LATTC last September, so it took me 8 months...
    I should just listen to people lol
    LOL! Yah, that's him. He told me the same thing. It's so true. I got my OSHA 10, First Aid/CPR, Flagger Cert, and Class A permit but not the license. At the time, I just accepted a job as a Line Worker for the telco company that I work for. They were and are supposed to pay and train me for my Class A. I just got my permit an figured "Hey, I can save some cash if I wait for my company to pay for my Class A". Over a year later they still delayed getting my Class A. While the other line workers were driving Class A trucks, I was the bitch with the regular company vehicle (non class A vehicle). I decided earlier this year to just pay out of pocket and get it myself (should have done that a long time ago). Once I got it... Bam! Testing for Edison. I actually have orientation for East LA Skills tomorrow. I will go with the hopes that I don't need to take it if Edison hires me. That would require me having to take a leave from my job and paying for all the bills at home while I go to climbing school. But if that's what It takes, then that's what I'm going to do.

5. Cool Oh yeah, regarding ELASC Skills center

LOL! Yah, that's him. He told me the same thing. It's so true. I got my OSHA 10, First Aid/CPR, Flagger Cert, and Class A permit but not the license. At the time, I just accepted a job as a Line Worker for the telco company that I work for. They were and are supposed to pay and train me for my Class A. I just got my permit an figured "Hey, I can save some cash if I wait for my company to pay for my Class A". Over a year later they still delayed getting my Class A. While the other line workers were driving Class A trucks, I was the bitch with the regular company vehicle (non class A vehicle). I decided earlier this year to just pay out of pocket and get it myself (should have done that a long time ago). Once I got it... Bam! Testing for Edison. I actually have orientation for East LA Skills tomorrow. I will go with the hopes that I don't need to take it if Edison hires me. That would require me having to take a leave from my job and paying for all the bills at home while I go to climbing school. But if that's what It takes, then that's what I'm going to do.
    Yeah, Class A Permit isn't worth sh!t. I got rejected everywhere (PGE pre-apprentice twice, Turlock, all the utilities in Portland, Texas, Mountain States JATC, Dominion, etc in the east coast). I'm surprised that the Cal-Nev JATC even gave me a chance by giving me a good rank. I got lucky.

Dude, funny thing is that I waitlisted for ELASC on October 2014. It took them 1 year and 6 months to tell me about the orientation for the climbing school. Lmao, by that time I got the e-mail, I was done with my climbing cert from Los Angeles Trade Tech College 9 months ago + got my Class A driving test this Thursday

i heard that NLC and ELASC are way better than LATTC for prepping you, so you are in good hands man. I heard from talking to my classmates and other journeyman lineman that ELASC is way more intense, but I've only been to LATTC, so i don't know jack sh!t. Good luck. With that climbing cert, Class A and your climbing job, you'll be more ready than I am.

You should write about your orientation/ ELASC experience so that more people can learn about it btw. The forum seems slower than it was years ago. Pages 22~40 are golden due to so many replies with good answers though.

Yeah, I talked to older utility lineman (glendale, LADWP, SDGE) and they told me that the utility paid for their CDL A back in the days. I guess that the good ol' days of the companies paying for everything are over. They want to minimize expenses. And we'll do anything to get in, so it goes.

p.s. - so glad I went to LATTC climbing school. Got that climbing cert in 4 months, for Free, before the JATC interview. I lucked out man...

6. Default

Yeah, Class A Permit isn't worth sh!t. I got rejected everywhere (PGE pre-apprentice twice, Turlock, all the utilities in Portland, Texas, Mountain States JATC, Dominion, etc in the east coast). I'm surprised that the Cal-Nev JATC even gave me a chance by giving me a good rank. I got lucky.

Dude, funny thing is that I waitlisted for ELASC on October 2014. It took them 1 year and 6 months to tell me about the orientation for the climbing school. Lmao, by that time I got the e-mail, I was done with my climbing cert from Los Angeles Trade Tech College 9 months ago + got my Class A driving test this Thursday

i heard that NLC and ELASC are way better than LATTC for prepping you, so you are in good hands man. I heard from talking to my classmates and other journeyman lineman that ELASC is way more intense, but I've only been to LATTC, so i don't know jack sh!t. Good luck. With that climbing cert, Class A and your climbing job, you'll be more ready than I am.

You should write about your orientation/ ELASC experience so that more people can learn about it btw. The forum seems slower than it was years ago. Pages 22~40 are golden due to so many replies with good answers though.

Yeah, I talked to older utility lineman (glendale, LADWP, SDGE) and they told me that the utility paid for their CDL A back in the days. I guess that the good ol' days of the companies paying for everything are over. They want to minimize expenses. And we'll do anything to get in, so it goes.

p.s. - so glad I went to LATTC climbing school. Got that climbing cert in 4 months, for Free, before the JATC interview. I lucked out man...
    What's your current job that you scored so high? Or is it just from climbing school? I want to attend one but I think I'll just wait it out with my score now. Where did you get your class A from?

7. Default For me, it was luck man.

What's your current job that you scored so high? Or is it just from climbing school? I want to attend one but I think I'll just wait it out with my score now. Where did you get your class A from?
    I'm currently attending a truck driving school in Las Vegas full time, hence, unemployed. I'll test next Wednesday.

Here is the crazy thing. I got lucky.
    They just liked me.

I knew that going in, they were looking for 4 things.
    1. attitude/likability
    2. climbing certificate (NLC, LATTC, ELASC, etc)
    3. groundman or construction experience (utility preferred)
    4. CDL A

I had a climbing cert, cdl permit. 1 month experience as a groundman at a tree service and 3 months as a construction laborer in Nor Cal after finishing climbing school in Los Angeles in September 2014.

At the end of the interview, I asked them what they are looking for in a candidate and what else could I do to improve myself other than getting a CDL A and working as a groundman in the line industry.

They told me that although they prefer those 4 qualifications, they pick guys who may have some or none. It really is subjective and I just got lucky.

Yeah, 92 is good man. For me, I think that going to a climbing school was essential, because I enjoyed the experience, i wasn't really afraid of the heights + I could see myself doing the work. It was over 8 weeks, so there was plenty of time to get used to climbing vs 10-day climbing orientation for Cal-Nev JATC. That sound rushed, but at the same time, we'll be on the ground, grunting for the lineman for our 1st year, so yep
    Last edited by OverEasy; 05-26-2016 at 01:33 AM.

8. Default

I'm currently attending a truck driving school in Las Vegas full time, hence, unemployed. I'll test next Wednesday.

Here is the crazy thing. I got lucky.
    They just liked me.

I knew that going in, they were looking for 4 things.
    1. attitude/likability
    2. climbing certificate (NLC, LATTC, ELASC, etc)
    3. groundman or construction experience (utility preferred)
    4. CDL A

I had a climbing cert, cdl permit. 1 month experience as a groundman at a tree service and 3 months as a construction laborer in Nor Cal after finishing climbing school in Los Angeles in September 2014.

At the end of the interview, I asked them what they are looking for in a candidate and what else could I do to improve myself other than getting a CDL A and working as a groundman in the line industry.

They told me that although they prefer those 4 qualifications, they pick guys who may have some or none. It really is subjective and I just got lucky.

Yeah, 92 is good man. For me, I think that going to a climbing school was essential, because I enjoyed the experience, i wasn't really afraid of the heights + I could see myself doing the work. It was over 8 weeks, so there was plenty of time to get used to climbing vs 10-day climbing orientation for Cal-Nev JATC. That sound rushed, but at the same time, we'll be on the ground, grunting for the lineman for our 1st year, so yep
    Well shoot, good for you! I've never met someone score that well without a class or more experience. I'm already a member of ibew local 47 and last time I was in there taking some tests for my apprenticeship, the stack of applications for the line apprenticeship was nuts. So competitive.
    Last edited by patrick26; 05-26-2016 at 09:34 AM.

9. Default My rank is still the same

Cal-Nev next climbing class is starting on June 4th so you'll be moving up already. I've read a lot and it seems like guys that have scored within the top 100 are averaging it taking about 3 or 4 months to get to orientation after interviewing (not just cal-nev, I'm talking about all the JATC). I'm 92 and hoping to get in by September, just trying to be patient.
    No change in my rank yet.
    maybe they take a while or the climbing class hasn't happened.

i have no idea, I'll focus on trucking for now.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

No change in my rank yet.
    maybe they take a while or the climbing class hasn't happened.

i have no idea, I'll focus on trucking for now.
    I know they started class this past Monday. Surprised they haven't updated the ranking yet, you had to have moved some. I haven't moved either with MSLCAT and I have no idea when there next orientation is.