Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Equipotential bonding on underground.

Featured Sponsor

How are you all dealing with this?
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    How are you all dealing with this?
    Duck, we're basically doing what we did prior to the new regs. On a multi grounded wye system we install grounding elbows on each end of the cable, in a primary fault situation we identify the cable, use a cable spear on it to ensure its the correct phase. We use rubber gloves to jumper the primary neutral before cutting it. Once it's jumpered remove rubber gloves to work it.

Delta is a different animal, after the cable is isolated tested and grounded, they want the grounds removed to work it. That applies on delta express feeder. On multi grounded delta it is work the same way a wye system is worked. Hope that helps......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Duck, we're basically doing what we did prior to the new regs. On a multi grounded wye system we install grounding elbows on each end of the cable, in a primary fault situation we identify the cable, use a cable spear on it to ensure its the correct phase. We use rubber gloves to jumper the primary neutral before cutting it. Once it's jumpered remove rubber gloves to work it.

Delta is a different animal, after the cable is isolated tested and grounded, they want the grounds removed to work it. That applies on delta express feeder. On multi grounded delta it is work the same way a wye system is worked. Hope that helps......
    Same here on the Island
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Is anyone required to use grounding matts?
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Is anyone required to use grounding matts?
    Not where I'm at.......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default Grounding Mats

Not where I'm at.......
    We use them. CA.

7. Default

How do you get to the concentric if it is jacketed cable? That's all we use. Seems to me that trying to strip enough jacket off to expose the neutral is not practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwalker128 View Post
    How do you get to the concentric if it is jacketed cable? That's all we use. Seems to me that trying to strip enough jacket off to expose the neutral is not practical.
    We were cutting a patch around the jacket about 3 inches wide and exposing the concentric on both sides of the cut, then installing a spring wrap device that made a flat surface for the jaws of the ground jumper and connected to all the concentric wires good enough for a connection. Then later the spring was removed and the jacket sealed with tape.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwalker128 View Post
    All we use is jacketed cable too..... The people making the rules don't care how much of a PIA it is to strip the jacket back.

as TMan says, strip some jacket and the we use "clam shell" spring loaded jumpers on the neutral.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Thanks for the replies. Can either of you give me some more information on the "Clam Shell" clamps? Are they bought or home made? With the new rules coming out, I am sure that there are more questions than answers...especially on equipotential grounding.

I work for a coop. Much of our URD consists of one run to a consumer in the country. We have found it just as easy to completely isolate the URD feed when we have to work on it. That way we don't have to equipotential ground.