Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    If there are lights out we work in it, unless the lightning is hammering close or the wind is in your opinion gusting to high to work safely, it's all left up to the common sense of the lineman on the call, I was taught early on if there was one or a thousand customers out we were to work with a sense of urgency to get them back on, working in bad weather is just one of the things that set lineman apart from most all other trades. If there are no lights out, we cab up.
    Since you mentioned common sense.I had a Jy working with me,and it started to sprinkle.He mentions it and begins to show me how they did it @ George M. construction ....he says three or 4 of them would pull their union cards out of their wallets....so he pulles his out......then he tells me if three or four drops hit the card in so many seconds it would be time to cab up........so....you tell me what kind of a worker he was?...I couldnt believe he did that.......watching him work scared me way more than lightning ever did.....well...close to it anyway .So we continued to work .

We do not normally work in the rain, unless there is power off. Obviously working in inclement weather during outages requires a bit of common sense. I don't care how much power is off when lightning is flying around, it just isn't worth it. I once got called out in a storm by the 2 man trouble crew, the senior man wanted me to change out the taps on a 3 phase square corner, 27.6kv , live. Lightning everywhere. No power off. Guess what he got told!

3. Default

No hot work over 600volts.

4. Default

lol did a lineman just ask "do you work in the rain",sh*t it rains all the time here,i would be more intrested in do you guys work when its sunny,if you don't want to work in the rain then you got the wrong career buddy part of the fun is getting out all weathers like bren says "you are not a sugar cube" so man up buddy and embrace the rain

Quote Originally Posted by paul maxwell View Post
    lol did a lineman just ask "do you work in the rain",sh*t it rains all the time here,i would be more intrested in do you guys work when its sunny,if you don't want to work in the rain then you got the wrong career buddy part of the fun is getting out all weathers like bren says "you are not a sugar cube" so man up buddy and embrace the rain
    One of the main parts of being a lineman is that we work in all conditions,night and day....holidays,birthdays/ect.Noody here hasnt worked when lightning was around,sure you try to avoid it when you can.Lineman near Seattle see plenty of rain.....ask them

Default If you glove in the rain, you have to be rat.

Quote Originally Posted by paul maxwell View Post
    So guys that worked preceding you for 110 years, say it's unsafe to work in rain for normal work. And if you have no option but to glove, you will glove in the rain for straight time and straight pay? We call people like you tricking rats!!!! If you show up in most of the locals where I have worked, you would be run out of town, out of state. Destroying conditions is a very bad path!!!!

Default See you are from Ireland or some UK country.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    So guys that worked preceding you for 110 years, say it's unsafe to work in rain for normal work. And if you have no option but to glove, you will glove in the rain for straight time and straight pay? We call people like you tricking rats!!!! If you show up in most of the locals where I have worked, you would be run out of town, out of state. Destroying conditions is a very bad path!!!!
    We work with no outages. Most of our stuff is banked. There is this big push for safety in my industry in the USA. The higher ups, the utilities want less manpower, less everything... And add so many safety liabilities on us, the utility lineman, and the construction lineman. It's fractionalized. Utility guys hate construction guys. UWA hates IBEW. It's nuts here. And you are saying work energized primary in the rain! Are you nuts! I was trying to figure out where you, rat, were from. Rats are company heroes that don't give a **** about working conditions, brotherhood, nothing, just to line their wallets and be company heroes. Some UK lineman came to NY, first couple weeks got killed with secondary here 120/240, We work hot and energized here. We don't kill a thing where I am at. Take your sugar cube talk and find some rat friends and talk to them. Don't post or say dumb **** when you have no idea of conditions here! We have very little union left in the U.S. Very little Union lineman left in the U.S. We don't work energized in the rain unless we have sticks. We will work in the rain until until the public and circuits are normal and safe. Sugar Cube talk is retarded!

If it's pouring and we haven't started,we don't start until it eases a bit.If we've started and it pours,we just continue but it's your choice as long as you are safe.Lightning and high winds change everything like it does for most people.

9. Default

think bobbo losing his cool a wee bit there with all the rat talk first lets go back to the ntxhands first post there was nothing in it about LIVE works so forgive me for miss understaning I forgot yous guys do that over there but over here in gods country we don't because we have learned over 100years ago to build a network that can be worked on DEAD whilst no customer is affected,second of all I dose the term rat mean someone who always have to move yards/companys?coz I think you said yourself bobbo you have been to a number of yards?i myself haven't,just been at one yard for 21 years and never even seen a broken bone in all that time from any of oor guys so belive me when I say that my guys safety is first priority not company or cash.lastly that's poor taste to bring a guys death into a post like it was his fault or something wtf man do you think he wanted to go like that!!we got a wee saying over here it gose "be your brothers keeper" something we take very seriously bobbo maybe you can try it over there buddy.

Default All talk

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    Instead of getting freaked out over " sugar cube quote". ,
    we stopped working live years ago.
    . There are specific times when it " has to be done live" even over here.

BUT AFTER YEARS OF BEING IN THE INDUSTRY. in a lot of different country's ... You will realise that your life is worth more than your bosses profits.
    KEEP WORKING LIVE. ( like we used to ) but eventually you will realise that there is a better safer way. And the " macho BS cowboy mentality. " might subside .

WE ARENT THE ENEMY.

We design lines around dead working to protect our linesmen. ( our lives are obviously more important than yours.) Eventually you guys will realise that THE ONLY REASON YOU ARE DOING YOUR LINE WORK LIVE ". Is because " you've always done it that way ". You are fooled into thinking that " it's macho"
    Your lines are built to be worked on live. " ITS MORE PROFITABLE TO YOUR COMPANYS...
    Instead of shooting the messenger. ....think about it.. With a cool head . ......
    If it can be done in the UK, IRELAND. AND MOST OF EUROPE.
    Then how come it " can't be done in the GOOD OLD USA ,,, ????

as far as I'm concerned " we are firstly al linesmen" secondly everyone's life is equal...

So why are we being protected and you aren't . ?????

We all work in the rain over here because ( there ain't many days it dosent rain. ) And the " cube of sugar " remark is a JOKE !!!!! Because if we didn't work in the rain in Northern Europe WE WOULDNT EVER WORK.
    It's the same as saying we wouldn't work in the sun in Nevada .or in the snow in Canada.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !