1. Default New Hendrix Vise Top Insulators (VTU)

Featured Sponsor

Has anyone used the updated universal vise top insulator? It is a different design that can supposedly handle all angles, slackspans, and can be used with all distribution conductor types (Al, Cu, and covered). I know the older one has been used for awhile but we are looking at this one because you don't need different insulators for different wire types. Just though that I'd get some feedback.

Got any pictures? been retired for five years not sure what you mean about new and improved, seen all types of wire with and without insulation used with vice tops even tho there are quicker they do cost more than porcelain.

I have never used that type of insulator, we use the K-line polymer universal post insulator that will clamp down to #4 and as large as 556 (our largest wire). I like the idea of polymer and not having to use tie wire, so much faster and safer and less rubber if using sticks.

you got me curious about them, do you have a picture? there is plenty of vise tops around here, and quite a few hand tie. i keep a couple around cause they will spin on an old x-arm pin

http://www.preformed.com/index.php?o...=23&Itemid=186

we will probably go to these once we use all of our old ties and insulators.
    the cost is a little bit less than the insulator and tie wire setup.
    Last edited by harley; 07-16-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: more information
    Harley

Eligible to retire at anytime – when it quits being fun I’m gone

This is what we use http://www.k-line.net/s/12-Distribut...31003-yvf3.pdfa little more expensive, but it works for both arm and armless so we only need to carry 1 type of insulator and at least twice as fast if not more and safer when using sticks.

Featured Sponsorr

One of the drawbacks of the polymer ins is you have to pay attention when installing them, we hard a few guys that would tighten them up to much when installing them on ridge pins, if it wasn't in line when tightened instead of backing it off to make it straight they would tighten the hell out of it and when the weather got cold the ins would crack near the threads and then break down and burn up. For the most part a good product and a lot safer than tie wires in close quarters.