Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: crew question

1. Default crew question

Featured Sponsor

Does your employer require every person on the crew to wear FR clothing? I'm in a situation where the ground hand is not wearing FR clothing and I think that he should be in case of an emergency or rescue situation.

Don't ask about company policy, it doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure CFR 1910-269 would require this.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by in the bucket View Post
    Does your employer require every person on the crew to wear FR clothing? I'm in a situation where the ground hand is not wearing FR clothing and I think that he should be in case of an emergency or rescue situation.

Don't ask about company policy, it doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure CFR 1910-269 would require this.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    That's bs. If he's on the ground why would he? If it's rescue I'm sure the fire already has happened. Our company is fighting us on the issue right now , but lets not forget common sense if your not in an area flash potential then why make everyone wear it? That's why they're grunts and you're a lineman, you get paid to be in primary. We don't need extra burdens and need more common sense. Where are you located ?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    That's bs. If he's on the ground why would he? If it's rescue I'm sure the fire already has happened. Our company is fighting us on the issue right now , but lets not forget common sense if your not in an area flash potential then why make everyone wear it? That's why they're grunts and you're a lineman, you get paid to be in primary. We don't need extra burdens and need more common sense. Where are you located ?
    You're funny dude. In WHAT Life... and WHERE do you do Linework? Just CAUSE. Where are YOU Located, where crap like this is still accepted?? "Common sense"? Dude...THAT is NOT an acceptable word or thought in this area of Linework. Everything in Linework..has NO Common sense involved. That is not allowed. You can't make a decision on your own...Put on your FR clothes...EVEN the Grunts! Where the hell YOU work you think you are "Better" than OSHA bullsiht??
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

4. Default

To clarify, the ground guy is a lineman too. So he too is "PAID TO BE IN THE PRIMARY". If the guy shows up for work with no FR pants, he now has an excuse to always ground, which is BS.

I value good advise. Everyone has opinions and comes from different circumstances. The two replies I got here seem to be sarcastic, bitter old lineman BS. Maybe that's why this forum is a complete graveyard now. You keep jumping on people's sh&t and they leave.

Have fun waiting for your next victim.

Some of these guys do seem bitter,but we are not all that way.Here the company provides FR shirts,so that is what needs to be worn...by all,unless your on break or lunch.You are correct when you say a ground-man might have to save a lineman.All members of any crew are important and need to be trained for certain emergencies.I dont think wearing those shirts is a hard rule to follow,and if a guy doesnt want to wear them.....well he can flip hamburgers at McDonalds as far as I care...........by the way dont let the bitter- smart responses bother you.

To clarify, the ground guy is a lineman too. So he too is "PAID TO BE IN THE PRIMARY". If the guy shows up for work with no FR pants, he now has an excuse to always ground, which is BS.

I value good advise. Everyone has opinions and comes from different circumstances. The two replies I got here seem to be sarcastic, bitter old lineman BS. Maybe that's why this forum is a complete graveyard now. You keep jumping on people's sh&t and they leave.

I certainly took your post to mean standing around on the ground with a long sleeve FR shirt on, might have been wrong but at least that is how I took it and I certainly was in agreement that it was unnecessary, as far as the lineman having an excuse to not get in the bucket because he doesn't have FR pants on, that is a crew problem and something that the foreman should handle.

Blog Entries

where I'm at, everyone is in FR. We don't have groundmen per se, everyone on the crew is a lineman and can go in the primaries.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Not for nothing, but there are plenty of places a lineman or groundman can get burnt that aren't in the air. Substations, padmounts and especially meter enclosures. I'm not a lineman, but I wear FR at all times. Some of the worst arcs happen on secondary voltages.

Mark

OSHA does not say that everyone on a crew has to wear arc rated FR. What OSHA says is that the work has to be evaluated by the employer to determine if any workers have potential exposure to arcs. If so, then THOSE employees must wear FR with an arc rating at least equal to the level of potential exposure while doing that work. If there is no potential exposure then there is no need for FR. Period. Some companies choose to mandate the wearing of FR by all workers at all times just to keep things simple. That is their option, goes above and beyond what OSHA requires and is perfectly acceptable. Other companies choose to take the time and effort to train their workers as to when and what type of FR is needed and allow their workers to put on and take off as needed. Again this is perfectly acceptable as long as there is also proper supervision to make sure procedures are properly followed. A true groundman probably has almost no potential exposure to an arc. Not qualified to climb so the only rescue he would be doing would be to lower a bucket using lower controls, no exposure to arcs. If they would be assisting in work involving energized secondaries then yes there would be potential exposure at that time and they would need to be equipped with FR. But otherwise, no. If on the other hand, as someone else pointed out, you have an individual who does not wear FR just to keep from having to go up and work, that is a management/supervision issue not a OSHA/FR issue.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    You're funny dude. In WHAT Life... and WHERE do you do Linework? Just CAUSE. Where are YOU Located, where crap like this is still accepted?? "Common sense"? Dude...THAT is NOT an acceptable word or thought in this area of Linework. Everything in Linework..has NO Common sense involved. That is not allowed. You can't make a decision on your own...Put on your FR clothes...EVEN the Grunts! Where the hell YOU work you think you are "Better" than OSHA bullsiht??
    I wasn't trying to go on the attack on anyone. That's just my solid opinion. I don't know where you work, but common sense plays a factor in every bit of line work. I don't need a safety manual to tell me step by step how to do a job safely. However there are rules that go beyond common sense. Lie take the truck ground to the neutral.. That's become a policy here. I'm speaking about how my company has been trying to change safety rules and you're attitude is right with them on making a complete idiots guide to linework where children and babies can do it. I asked where this question was from cause it seems to be a geographical thing and I'd like to know where this question stems from. And it's guys like you who quote and cower anytime anyone says anything about OSHA , but you don't even now the ****ed rules. You just assume. That's something you don't do in THIS LIFE OR IN LINEWORK. You're an idiot. Go back to where you belong under safety's left nut. This is Texas where we still have somewhat of a brain