Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: crew question

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by in the bucket View Post
    To clarify, the ground guy is a lineman too. So he too is "PAID TO BE IN THE PRIMARY". If the guy shows up for work with no FR pants, he now has an excuse to always ground, which is BS.

I value good advise. Everyone has opinions and comes from different circumstances. The two replies I got here seem to be sarcastic, bitter old lineman BS. Maybe that's why this forum is a complete graveyard now. You keep jumping on people's sh&t and they leave.

Have fun waiting for your next victim.
    Maybe you should take some of your own advice and leave this graveyard. I don't know when or how you asked for advice in this post . You simply stated you have a "ground hand" who doesn't wanna wear FR. A ground hand is not a lineman, kinda left that part out. I stated my opinion about requiring everyone to wear FR was BS. We only have to wear it when in a flash or primary zone. So no the "ground hand" or the "lineman" at the other end of the handline doesn't have to wear it. As for substations, FR yes. As for Padmounts, FR yes. See where the common sense part comes in? You asked for input and the first person who gave you some , you whined and jumped their ass along with the rest of the pack. Take your baited questions elsewhere. If you know where to find the rules in CFR 1910 269 about when FR is required then what are you asking? Someone to read it for you? Another thing that don't belong in line work is hurt feelings.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wudwlkr View Post
    OSHA does not say that everyone on a crew has to wear arc rated FR. What OSHA says is that the work has to be evaluated by the employer to determine if any workers have potential exposure to arcs. If so, then THOSE employees must wear FR with an arc rating at least equal to the level of potential exposure while doing that work. If there is no potential exposure then there is no need for FR. Period. Some companies choose to mandate the wearing of FR by all workers at all times just to keep things simple. That is their option, goes above and beyond what OSHA requires and is perfectly acceptable. Other companies choose to take the time and effort to train their workers as to when and what type of FR is needed and allow their workers to put on and take off as needed. Again this is perfectly acceptable as long as there is also proper supervision to make sure procedures are properly followed. A true groundman probably has almost no potential exposure to an arc. Not qualified to climb so the only rescue he would be doing would be to lower a bucket using lower controls, no exposure to arcs. If they would be assisting in work involving energized secondaries then yes there would be potential exposure at that time and they would need to be equipped with FR. But otherwise, no. If on the other hand, as someone else pointed out, you have an individual who does not wear FR just to keep from having to go up and work, that is a management/supervision issue not a OSHA/FR issue.
    Thanks for the clarification brother!

Same thing we had some young lineman working out of a bucket in a completely de energized zone using EPZ and they thought they still had to wear long sleeve shirts until I explained that there was no possibility of a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    Same thing we had some young lineman working out of a bucket in a completely de energized zone using EPZ and they thought they still had to wear long sleeve shirts until I explained that there was no possibility of a flash.
    Common sense right! Glad to see it's still out there. These companies are trying to take away any thinking a lineman has to do

Featured Sponsorr

In my opinion common sense and the rules do not go together! Since I am a contractor I have to adapt to whatever rules the company we contract to use. The current contract has some screwy rules (due to a safety man that knows just enough to be dangerous), such as everybody wears fr all the time. Another good one , grounding the truck to the system neutral on an isolated and grounded line even though the truck has a lower insert. Once he even demanded me to wear rubber gloves on a grounded line just because there was a transmission line running down the opposite side of the right of way. And my grounds were less than 10 feet away on a dead end pole. Alot of places now are doing their level best to take the thinking part out of linework!!!