Thread: New rules

1. Default New rules

Featured Sponsor

Last year was the 100% fall restraint. Recently its using flash shields to pull meters (even de-energized) and flash suits to pretty much do ANYTHING.

Whats it like where your at?

The way the trade is going ....I wouldnt doubt if they make the workers wear Sponge Bob like uniforms in the near future.

Blog Entries

Employers were required to do available fault current studies on ALL of their circuits to determine what FR would be required when working on energized equipment.

where I'm at, they designated the places where we need the ridiculous 40 cal requirement along with the friggin flash helmet.

suffice it to say, I'm glad I'm retiring this year and leaving this trade...... I have no idea how I stayed alive free climbing and wearing no FR all those years..... Simply amazing!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Explain the Cat 1,2,3 stuff ya'll have to wear?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Employers were required to do available fault current studies on ALL of their circuits to determine what FR would be required when working on energized equipment.

where I'm at, they designated the places where we need the ridiculous 40 cal requirement along with the friggin flash helmet.

suffice it to say, I'm glad I'm retiring this year and leaving this trade...... I have no idea how I stayed alive free climbing and wearing no FR all those years..... Simply amazing!!
    Yeah...any switch gear that you open up 34' arc flash boundary and requires a flash suit, don't remember if its 40 or 60 cal, either way its a meth lab breaking bad bad boy. Anyone in that boundary must be suited in the same type of clothing.

It's hard for me to grasp how one department doesn't need a flash suit to pop a lid on a 480 self-contained meter (DE-ENERGIZED) while another doing the same exact thing DE-ENERGIZED needs a flash suit.

Dem da rulez.

Glad your making it to retirement with all the limbs. Now you get to sit back and shake your head

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    Explain the Cat 1,2,3 stuff ya'll have to wear?
    We were a CAT 1,2,3,4

Now there is no category. It's simple.

OVERHEAD MAINLINE all work done with reclosing turned off--instantanious turned on if available requires 9.5 cal shirt with a face shield. (or within 25' of fuse coordination) other wise behind fuses it's 4.5 cal and no face shield.

Behind a field recloser, regardless of sub breaker reclosing on or off is 9.5 cal shirt and a face shield--this is due to the substation relays may not see a fault and operate due to the distance of the field recloser, etc...

I haven't seen them and don't know what they look like but seems that a temporary cutout might be key here ????

Featured Sponsorr

That's something! We just have one shirt 8.6 pants are around 11 I'm told they're the wrangler brand. No faceshields unless operating any type of switch (cutout, elbows, most anything with a stick) Are the 4.5 shirts alot lighter? Like t-shirt like?
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdallas_ View Post
    We were a CAT 1,2,3,4

Now there is no category. It's simple.

OVERHEAD MAINLINE all work done with reclosing turned off--instantanious turned on if available requires 9.5 cal shirt with a face shield. (or within 25' of fuse coordination) other wise behind fuses it's 4.5 cal and no face shield.

Behind a field recloser, regardless of sub breaker reclosing on or off is 9.5 cal shirt and a face shield--this is due to the substation relays may not see a fault and operate due to the distance of the field recloser, etc...

I haven't seen them and don't know what they look like but seems that a temporary cutout might be key here ????