Default How old is too old to start an apprenticeship?

Featured Sponsor

I am 46 years old. I've been a Union Commercial Carpenter for over 20 years. I went through the Carpenter Apprenticeship in the 90's. I am used to working in the elements, hard work, heavy work, getting dirty, and everything else that comes with being in the trades. I've always wanted to be a lineman but thought you had to be an electrician. I recently sent my resume to DTE here in the Detroit area. I don't expect them to call, but if they do I'm wondering if it's too late for me. I'm in pretty good shape and not afraid of working at heights, as I've done it my whole career. Just looking for some insight. Thanks in advance.

2. Default

Just curious but why do you say "wanted to be a lineman but THOUGHT you had to be an electrician." Was there a reason you didn't want to be an electrician? Or did you assume you had to become a journeyman electrician before starting an apprentice line position?

In my opinion, if you can answer this question, then your decision is clear, Can you afford to fail (as in, if you do not finish out, will it be devastating to yourself or your family.) If you can, then I would say go for it. It's a great job with great pay, and I love going to work. I wouldn't say the technical part is easy, but it def doesn't come over night and rarely do you understand it the first time you are told/taught, so the opportunity of failing out of an apprenticeship is very much alive the entire time. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best! If you can afford to give it a shot and possibly not make it, hell yeah! Give it a go, you wont be able to say ya didn't try!

Ummbackwheni started they wouldnt let anybodyinto the prenticeship program that wuz over 25 .Dunno if thats still in effect or not

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummbackwheni started they wouldnt let anybodyinto the prenticeship program that wuz over 25 .Dunno if thats still in effect or not
    Used to be that way when I started too, now days I believe that's called age discrimination.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Although you are getting pretty long in the tooth to get started that doesn't mean that you can't cut it especially if you are already in construction and used to the heat and cold and are in decent shape, this job can be difficult but it certainly isn't rocket science and if you set your mind to being a lineman and have the mental capacity to learn the trade it's very doable. Good luck. Charlie.

At that age it will be tough,your about the age where the body starts to go downhill and the brain gets sharper.Given the chance will be the hardest part,meaning if you get past the door then your a lucky man .It would take another 10 years to learn most of the trade so that puts you at 56.I can go on but I wont.Good luck.Ive also done my share of carpentry as a teen ,not union.Done most aspects of that trade,mostly framing.Now ask yourself if a 46 year guy could frame houses like a younger man can.You should know what I mean,climbing up 2 by 4 walls,walking on the wall.Walking across 1.1/2 joist .lifting rafters up and building the roof ,bracing the roof,ect.Anyway good luck .

Thanks for your quick responses. Yes, I did assume that you had to be a Journeyman Electrician, meaning already went through the apprenticeship. I am in a much better situation to start over financially, depending on what apprentices start out at, now then when my kids where younger. I have a great job that pays pretty well. I am looking for that feeling of satisfaction and pride that I used to get. I'm pretty sure that being a Lineman would give me that, plus the money would be nice as Lineman make more than Commercial Carpenters. I have no doubt about my ability to complete the apprenticeship. Assuming my knees or back don't go out. LOL. I am just trying to see if there are other guys out there already doing it at my age.

As far as Carpentry goes I never did residential. I've been in the commercial end of it my whole career. Working 50 to 100' in the air on a lift or scaffold in any weather is what I do and it keeps me in shape. Like I said, they probably won't call, but if they do I am going to try like hell to get in. Thanks again for your responses and keep them coming.

I got in at 40. I'm neat apprentice in local 1049 . I have a about 650 hrs left. Last year when I was traveling I met an app that got in at 47 years old. One of his friends from his class got in At 51. They are both neat apps in local 126 Pa. If you want it bad enough you'll get it. GOOD LUCK!!

Featured Sponsorr

I think its great for the guys above 40.I just cant recall seeing an apprentice over 40.It would be rare here,but possible.