Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Wait for apprenticeship in desired JATC or take where I can get in?

Featured Sponsor

I am currently on the Cal Nev wait list and ranked just over 300. I know I probably don't have a chance to get in. I plan on reapplying when it opens up again. By then, I will have my Class A and some line construction experience (took a telecommunications line job since my Cal Nev interview). I have an interview in a few days for the MSLCAT JATC. I will have my Class A in a few months and will apply to the Northwest and Southwest JATC ape ships (they require a Class A). I was thinking that I should take whichever ape ship I can get into and then try to get back to Cali down the road if possible. Is that ok? Have any of you moved or transfered to another JATC? If I get an apprenticeship, can I apply for Cal Nev when it opens? Will I be looked at in a negative way for wanting to do this?

Just Got back from Utah to go to my MSLCAT interview. Just a word of advise, if you have to drive like I did, get there and stay the night before if possible. I couldn't get off work more than 1 day. I was able to use today as an off day but will have to work the weekend. Missing the interview was not an option. So, after working a 12 hr shift, I got 1 1/2 hrs of sleep and drove from San Bernardino County (where I live) to Utah. I felt like I was a zombie in the interview. I did the best I could with what energy I had. The interview lasted around 10-15 minutes. I think I did ok. Will have to wait until next week to see how I did and what I rank. On a good note, I just checked my rank for Cal Nev and am now 161! Don't know how I am moving up so fast. My initial rank was 456! I am now thinking that just maybe I have a shot at Cal Nev. But it is still very far away. I am now going to bed. Dead tired and work tomorrow.

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

I remember those days, hope you have better luck than I did
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

Quote Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
    I remember those days, hope you have better luck than I did
    Thanks Stiffneck. Was it rough getting into an apprenticeship for you?

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

I was never allowed to test or interview or sign any books, etc. 1987, 1992 for local 1 and 1994, 1995 for local 2. That's why I stated, "Hope you have better luck than I did".
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by So Cal Rooted View Post
    Just Got back from Utah to go to my MSLCAT interview. Just a word of advise, if you have to drive like I did, get there and stay the night before if possible. I couldn't get off work more than 1 day. I was able to use today as an off day but will have to work the weekend. Missing the interview was not an option. So, after working a 12 hr shift, I got 1 1/2 hrs of sleep and drove from San Bernardino County (where I live) to Utah. I felt like I was a zombie in the interview. I did the best I could with what energy I had. The interview lasted around 10-15 minutes. I think I did ok. Will have to wait until next week to see how I did and what I rank. On a good note, I just checked my rank for Cal Nev and am now 161! Don't know how I am moving up so fast. My initial rank was 456! I am now thinking that just maybe I have a shot at Cal Nev. But it is still very far away. I am now going to bed. Dead tired and work tomorrow.
    What did you end up scoring with them? Did you get in yet or still waiting?

I ended up ranking a little over 400. I felt like shit. I think the panel thought I looked it too. Since then, my rank has gone down. Good news is that My Cal/Nev ranking has gone down to 136. I also just got my Class A CDL and will be attending the East LA Skills Center Lineman Program this August. (I had my Class A permit for a year. My employer said they would train me and pay for it. I said screw it and paid out of pocket since they have taken so long.)

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by So Cal Rooted View Post
    I ended up ranking a little over 400. I felt like shit. I think the panel thought I looked it too. Since then, my rank has gone down. Good news is that My Cal/Nev ranking has gone down to 136. I also just got my Class A CDL and will be attending the East LA Skills Center Lineman Program this August. (I had my Class A permit for a year. My employer said they would train me and pay for it. I said screw it and paid out of pocket since they have taken so long.)
    Sorry to hear that about MSLCAT. You've moved up a bunch with Cal-Nev, you should hopefully make it in. I just got my score of 92 with Mountain States and I'm hoping to get called over the summer since I've heard it's their busy time. Trying my best to patient and hopefully we will both get some good news soon.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick26 View Post
    Sorry to hear that about MSLCAT. You've moved up a bunch with Cal-Nev, you should hopefully make it in. I just got my score of 92 with Mountain States and I'm hoping to get called over the summer since I've heard it's their busy time. Trying my best to patient and hopefully we will both get some good news soon.
    Thanks for the encouragement. That sounds like a good score (not really familiar with good scores out there though). That's the hard part... being patient. I feel like I will be getting my break soon. Starting this year, I have really been trying to get myself ready for the call. I have been working out and losing weight (down 35 lbs since this year: run at least 4 miles, 4 days a week), gaffing when I don't really have to, learning knots, electrical theory, and putting in apps like crazy. I just got contacted by So Cal Edison about a week ago. They were asking about my CDL License. Not sure what that means but I'm hoping it's for a good reason. Ill keep you posted. Best of luck!

Featured Sponsorr

Good news! I have been scheduled for the SCE groundman physical performance test at the end of the month. I already took the general education/battery test a few years ago. I'll let you know how it goes and if I make it for an interview.