Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Motivedx2 View Post
    gOOD LUCK ON THE INTEVIEW TODAY, let me know how it turns out
    All done! I think it went really well. It was a panel of 3 people. Basic interview and questions. Tell me about yourself, your biggest weakness, what has prepared you for the job kind of questions (You can find all these questions on the internet with the correct way to answer them). They let me know that they need to fill a few hundred groundman positions in the next few years. I guess there are a lot of lineman retiring and they need to consistently hire in the next few years. I came in the interview, made eye contact, and shook all their hands. I left the interview the same way. I asked a few questions in the end about the groundman position. Nothing that you wouldn't already know about being a grunt. Just asked the questions because that is what you are supposed to do in the interview to let them know you are interested in the job. I will wait and see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Default different world

It's unbelievable how things have changed and how hard it is to get an opening to the job, let alone prove to yourself that you can really do it. It just shows how old I am getting to be. (62)

I was 19 years old. I had dropped out of school when I was 16 so I had already been in the work force for over three years helping farmers and had some construction jobs . I was also married and we had been living on our own since I was 17.

The interview consisted of the Electric Dept. Superintendent, the General Foreman, and the Foreman of the crew I was to go on.

I worked there for thirty years.

Different world back then.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman View Post
    It's unbelievable how things have changed and how hard it is to get an opening to the job, let alone prove to yourself that you can really do it. It just shows how old I am getting to be. (62)

I was 19 years old. I had dropped out of school when I was 16 so I had already been in the work force for over three years helping farmers and had some construction jobs . I was also married and we had been living on our own since I was 17.

The interview consisted of the Electric Dept. Superintendent, the General Foreman, and the Foreman of the crew I was to go on.

I worked there for thirty years.

Different world back then.
    Very different times indeed. I think it's because of the competition of the job that makes it so hard to get in. With information at the fingertips, it makes it easier for anyone to hop online and find out where openings are. When an opening comes up, everyone with interest comes a-flocking and gives employers the ability to pick exactly what they want.

I did get contacted for another interview. Second interview for the same jobs I put in for (SCE). I was told it was to see if I would be a good fit at particular locations. I will keep y'all posted. I will update on Friday.

I feel so lucky and blessed. Just got an offer from Edison for a groundman position. Not sure when I start yet. Finally, after so many years of putting in apps I have an opportunity. Can't believe it! I have been told over the years "you need to know someone", "they will only hire you if you have line school", and even that it is just to competitive to have a realistic shot. I didn't listen to the nay sayers and I encourage anyone else who really wants a career as a lineman not to give up. I have a lot of work ahead of me and look forward to the challenge.

Blog Entries

Congratulations on your offer. Now some words of advice from an old timer who's been in the business 43+ years. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut. Be prepared to have your balls busted big time. When you're Getting your balls busted, never let them see I get to you cuz if they know they can get to you, it'll never stop.

good luck, it's nice to see perseverance pay off.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Congratulations on your offer. Now some words of advice from an old timer who's been in the business 43+ years. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut. Be prepared to have your balls busted big time. When you're Getting your balls busted, never let them see I get to you cuz if they know they can get to you, it'll never stop.

good luck, it's nice to see perseverance pay off.
    Thanks for the advice, I will put it to use. Luckily I have a thick skin when it comes to having my balls busted. I played sports up through a year of college and have basically been called every name in the book (especially in football). I grew up in a house of boys and all we did was beat each other up and make fun of each other. I definitely won't take it personal and will look at the ball busting as a way to make sure I get the point while keeping everyone as safe as possible.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by So Cal Rooted View Post
    I feel so lucky and blessed. Just got an offer from Edison for a groundman position. Not sure when I start yet. Finally, after so many years of putting in apps I have an opportunity. Can't believe it! I have been told over the years "you need to know someone", "they will only hire you if you have line school", and even that it is just to competitive to have a realistic shot. I didn't listen to the nay sayers and I encourage anyone else who really wants a career as a lineman not to give up. I have a lot of work ahead of me and look forward to the challenge.
    That's awesome man congrats! When do you start? Did you ever get an interview with them before getting your class A? I applied for a groundsman position with them as well and never heard back but I don't have my class A. As far as knowing someone haha, my aunt works with Edison and that has done nothing
    amyways. It's better doing it on your own. I just checked my status with MSLCAT and I've moved down from 92 to 104 since May so that sucks. I'm thinking about taking a groundsman job out there to get hours of experience while I wait but unfortunately it's a $13 an hour pay cut for me. Trying to get my class A before I go since they pay $5 an hour more with it. Good luck and let me know how your first day goes!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by patrick26 View Post
    That's awesome man congrats! When do you start? Did you ever get an interview with them before getting your class A? I applied for a groundsman position with them as well and never heard back but I don't have my class A. As far as knowing someone haha, my aunt works with Edison and that has done nothing
    amyways. It's better doing it on your own. I just checked my status with MSLCAT and I've moved down from 92 to 104 since May so that sucks. I'm thinking about taking a groundsman job out there to get hours of experience while I wait but unfortunately it's a $13 an hour pay cut for me. Trying to get my class A before I go since they pay $5 an hour more with it. Good luck and let me know how your first day goes!
    Thanks! They are trying to get me into the July 11th class but told me it is probably unrealistic since they want the background check to clear 2 weeks before the class. Yes, I did have an interview a few years ago before my Class A. They were ready to give me an offer a few years ago because they thought I went to line school (No Class A that time). As soon as I told them I didn't go to line school, I got the sorry email. I think anyone with a Class A and a little construction experience has a descent shot. They just made having a Class A a requirement for SCE groundman a little over a month ago. When I went to enroll at East LA Skills I talked to a bunch of the student who were about to graduate. I would guess that 80% of them did not have their class a yet (maybe more). I think the new Class A requirement really helped in my favor to even out the employment pool. I would get my Class A asap and throw in an app.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Hey So Cal Rooted, GOOD JOB MATE!

For one of my friend, Edison groundman > any apprentice lineman JATC's.

His reasoning is that he would learn from the bottom up and prepare himself to become a good lineman, instead of starting out as an apprentice and not knowing sh!t.

Let me know how the orientation/working at Edison is.
    I guess that you don't need to go to climbing school at ELASC at all. Good job, they must've liked you a lot.