Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default I have never really seen arc and flash

Featured Sponsor

We always had the right tool: pick up macs, load buster, and clamp amp to calculate load. If we weren't in a situation to do it hot, we de energized source.

I don't understand this flash gear that's mandated?

i am trying to figure out how a government can make laws that no one wants? The properties that push this dumb stuff are going to get the real dumb people who need flash gear!

Out of 1000 lineman I worked with, 2 were Freddy Kruegers. And they were dumb!

rubber gloving will be so difficult to do anymore. It's going to revert back to the way we did it before.

I have never yet to see lineman use a buck squeeze yet.

As as far as that face shield, who thought of that dumb thing?

was it a council of really dumb people who never did this before say that's a good idea!

remember they pushed overshoes in the late 90s. Guys were tripping and falling all over. Then the extra 3 pounds on each foot ruins your knee tendons. They don't push those dumb things because they found they were paying a lot in work men's comp: by injury, plantar fasciitis and knee problems.

When will their be realistic people in these positions. I met guys in all trades and they are getting hit hard. Especially oil and gas guys.

Being well trained is never an answer for these people who mandate the dumbsshit!

you have this big OSHA section in this big book, and whoever creates this big book says lets throw a big monkey wrench that you know this industry will hate.

Who ho sits at the table for this and represents U.S.?

I think you have hit it right on the mark... The Linemen (as a whole) are not at the table at all.

Uninvited

I agree !!! Lineman have no input to any of these new rules. I am pretty sure lawyers do. I have seen a couple of arcs and flashes over the years, mostly equipment failures though. Once I had a submersible transformer blow up almost right in my face, just an equipment failure, no obvious cause. The damage to me was relatively minor a burn on my arm about 2 inches wide when I threw up my arms to shield my face. This was in the days before mandatory arc flash clothing, I was wearing denim overalls , jacket and shirt. The burn was were my shirt sleeve pulled away from my glove.

Blog Entries

A few of our reps went to an OSHA meeting where the new regs were explained. The guy who wrote the regs admitted to our people that he had never done line work, didn't know anything about line work or anything remotely close to line work. Suffice it to say that the powers that be couldn't give a shit less about what we think. They don't give a shit that you'll be in 40 cal and a face shield, they just say we have to do it and that's it......... Glad I'm getting out of the trade. Been doin this 43 years without all that crap.... It's a wonder we're still Alive gentlemen!!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

5. Default

"When will their be realistic people in these positions." Never. It's politics. AND Fear of Law suites. As Good as union use to be...they are nowdays, detrimental, and are actually responsible for a lot of the "regulations" that are being forced on the Electrical Industry. I believed in Union...for about 2-3 years. Then I began to see and understand what and who, union in ANY Trade... was associated with.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    "When will their be realistic people in these positions." Never. It's politics. AND Fear of Law suites. As Good as union use to be...they are nowdays, detrimental, and are actually responsible for a lot of the "regulations" that are being forced on the Electrical Industry. I believed in Union...for about 2-3 years. Then I began to see and understand what and who, union in ANY Trade... was associated with.
    Examples.....??
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default Who is sitting at the table?

I thought this country was a democracy! Run by the people for the people kind of country!

who represents us in this thing?

This trade a use to be enjoyable. Do your job and go home. Now it's compliance, buy a 1000 dollars of FR gear, wear a 500 dollar contraption as a safety, rubber 100%. And pay a bunch of guys to watch and police you all day for infractions.

now I have to work for my family. Over expanded management and their fat kids. 3rd party facilitators who don't really facilitate and their fat kids.

when do we get a break in this turd cycle?

is there a place where you can send a letter, and air a grievance?
    Or these people just a nameless government drones? You can't tell me that a name and address is not responsible, and just unload in a written courteous how detestable they are. It's America, we do have a right to do that!

To me, I think the equipment manufactures had a hand in this. Someone got paid! Or a lot of people got paid! Make a turd rule, wrap as a the Sacred cow of safety and shove it down everyone's throat!

if someone would post an address or email of the people responsible for this, they need some feedback!

Default This is the only address I have.

Dept. of Labor
    OSHA
    200 Constitution Ave., NW
    Washington, DC 20210

if anyone can put a name or department on it please do.

You know, a fella I worked with years ago, blamed a good salesman. That is the type that could sell ice to eskimos. Take Fr clothing for example, we have never needed such crap, denims worked just fine but somebody got in their head we needed something better, then some hot shot salesman convinced some useless safety people that we needed it, then these same useless safety people managed to get it into the rules. Used to be the same with material, when we got some new oddball piece of equipment it was because a salesman convinced a buyer that we needed it ,the price was right and we had no input until after it was purchased and we were told use it!!!

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Featured Sponsorr

Here is the short version of what happened.

It all started because of a lineman doing some switching in a 4KV station in an old building. One of the switches broke when trying to get it open, and it went phase to phase. You all know how long it takes for a 4KV arc to kick everything out, and the lineman died. That was in the Boston area. Then in the Chicago area an apprentice died under the Supervision of a drunk GF. Both Instances were taken to court. That got the big contractors and utilities (lawyers) thinking, so they started a "Partnership" with OSHA. Several of the big boys like Quanta, Par, Edison, started having meetings with OSHA, this was around 2003. This Partnership came up with several different rules to satisfy OSHA, and get the law suits dropped. Guess what, they made them regulations! One of the Regulations was the arc flash s--t. Rather than the different Utilities figuring out just exactly where these regs apply, they just blanketed everything. Most of this s--t they make us wear is because the attorneys tell the Utilities to error on the side of caution. Soooo the Utilities decided to take all of the brains away from the Lineman.

So you all are right about the attorneys!